CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Professor in exhibition studies and spatiality
The Academy of Fine Arts' University of the Arts Helsinki invites applications for a professorship in exhibition studies and spatiality to be filled for a fixed term from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2018. The reason for offering this position on a fixed-term basis is artistic renewal. The application period will start on 8 March 2013 and end on 12 April 2013 at 3 pm (local Helsinki time).
The Academy of Fine Arts organises nearly 50 student exhibitions and numerous other public presentations each year. Student exhibitions are part of the studies and degrees pursued at the Academy of Fine Arts. The Academy wishes to stress the interaction between space and the presentation of art, and to open perspectives on the theories and philosophy of art and spatiality. The Academy also seeks to emphasise the value of exhibitions in fine arts education by further developing related planning and teaching.
Section 33 of the Universities Act (No 558/2009) requires a professor to carry out and supervise scientific or artistic work, provide education based on it, follow developments in science or art and participate in community interaction and international cooperation in his or her field.
The specific duties of the professor of exhibition studies and spatiality include:
• Further development of the field, content and methods of teaching in exhibition studies and spatiality
• Teaching in exhibition studies, spatiality and exhibition activities
• Participation in the further development of artistic activities at the Academy of Fine Arts
• Participation in the collaboration between Academy degree programmes and joint studies
• Participation in the Academy's administrative activities (including membership of administrative bodies or committees and related tasks as well as student admissions)
• Collaboration with other organisations and institutions of higher education
• Other duties belonging or assigned to the professor
The professor's duties will be specified and their quantitative ratios confirmed in the annual workload plan.
The appointee must have suitable educational qualifications, merits and a broad knowledge of the field of the position as well as good teaching skills. Assessment of the applicants' merits will take into consideration their research merits in the field of the teaching position as well as their teaching experience.
In addition to possessing the required qualifications and experience, the appointee must have knowledge of the tradition, theory and practice of art exhibitions as well as a proven record of interest in developing education in the field. The appointee must also be capable of collaborating with a broad spectrum of partners.
The application period will start on 8 March 2013 and end on 12 April 2013 at 3 pm (local Helsinki time). Applications, together with the required enclosures, should be submitted in three copies. All application documents should be submitted in English for the benefit of any international assessors. Applications must be accompanied by the following enclosures:
• A written report on the applicant's artistic and teaching merits relevant to the position
• A portfolio of the applicant's artistic activities or, alternatively, a selection of key pieces from the applicant's artistic work presented in some other manner
• A CV, including a certificate of language proficiency
• A list of publications
Applications must be addressed to the Dean of the Academy of Fine Arts' University of the Arts Helsinki and delivered by post to the following address: University of the Arts Helsinki, Academy of Fine Arts, registry, P.O. Box 10, FI-00097 University of Arts. They must arrive by 12 April 2013 at 3 pm (local Helsinki time). Applicants should indicate on the envelope: Professorship in exhibition studies and spatiality. Application documents will not be returned.
For more information see the complete Call for applications at: