Lewis&Taggart, The Unfinished Reconstruction of Ujazdowski Castle, 2012. Photo: Lewis&Taggart.
|The Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle and the City of Warsaw invite art professionals—curators, organisers, researchers and managers—to apply for one-month-long residencies within the frame of Artists-In-Residence Laboratory programme at the CCA Ujazdowski Castle in Warsaw. The A-I-R Laboratory has been organizing an international residency programme at the Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle in Warsaw since 2002. The notion of "RE-DIRECTING" refers here to a need to facilitate collaborations with art initiatives from regions with which the A-I-R Laboratory hasn't had an opportunity to collaborate so far. This open call is the first phase of the project, and will shortly be followed by artistic residencies and small exhibitions. These will be jointly prepared by the invited art professionals and CCA's curators on the basis of mutual recognition and research into the respective artistic and socio-political contexts giving rise to the artistic and cultural activities of all parties concerned.
Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Mongolia, Moldova, Oman, Palestine, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen
A month-long residency in April, May, June 2013
Submission deadline: 28 February 2013
Fellows should be prepared to:
- Give a speech providing an overview or insight into specific issues relating to the current art scene in their country.
- Prepare a portfolio review of selected artists and art initiatives from their homeland in Warsaw.
- Participate in the A-I-R Laboratory programme (seminars, meetings, study visits).
- Collaborate with CCA curators on preparing the artistic residencies for their respective locales.
Selection will be based on the professional excellence of the applicant's work and his/her plans for sharing the benefits of the exchange with artists and institutions in his/her home country. Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of English to function independently and communicate with A-I-R Laboratory staff and other residents.
We will be offering:
- Individual living space connected with the working space
- A grant of 3000 PLN (approximately 1000 USD)
- Travel costs reimbursement
- Organizing customised programme and study visits in Warsaw and beyond.
How to apply:
Please send an electronic version of your portfolio—preferred format: pdf (in English), including:
1. professional work experience
2. a cover letter—a short explanation of why you would like to take part in our programme, presenting any relevant personal background and the form taken by your involvement in your local art scene
3. your CV
Please label the portfolio as follows:
your surname_your name_portfolio.pdf. In your email, please specify how you found out about this residency opportunity.
Please send the portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Artists-In-Residence Laboratory
The A-I-R Laboratory has been organising an international residency programme at the Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle in Warsaw since 2002. We consider Warsaw to be an inspiring environment for international artists to develop their ideas while using the residency as a tool for creation and critical reflection. These residencies for artists and other art-related professionals provide an opportunity to develop projects in close dialogue with a curator, and are organised with respect to artistic work reaching beyond the art market or exhibition commissions. At present, the A-I-R Laboratory can host up to seven artists at one time in studios located within the CCA and in the adjacent Laboratory building, which was opened in 2010.
This programme is co-financed by the City of Warsaw.