CUCHIFRITOS Gallery & Project Space provides exhibition opportunities to hundreds of independent curators and emerging underrepresented artists. Its location inside the Essex Street Market creates a distinct opportunity to directly engage with the local community about contemporary art. Artists Alliance Inc is interested in promoting contemporary artwork in all media, to be shown within a local community setting, though we do not promote community-based art. We seek exhibitions featuring the work of emerging and underrepresented contemporary artists and the curators who seek to exhibit these artistsʼ work in a clear and concise context. In addition, we are particularly interested in exhibits that may relate to the Essex Market or Lower East Side area.
OPEN CALL | Extended Deadline: January 1, 2013
We are pleased to invite independent curators and arts professionals to submit exhibition proposals to be considered for the 2013-2014 Cuchifritos Gallery & Project Space schedule.
Reviewed by the Artists Alliance Inc Curatorial Advisory Committee–comprised of representatives from the local contemporary arts community–accepted proposals will be selected based on conceptual vigor and artistic quality. Consideration will also be given to the individual/group’s ability to meet the artistic mission of Artists Alliance Inc and Cuchifritos Gallery. Successful applicants will articulate a particular need to exhibit within Cuchifritos Gallery and the surrounding community.
When submitting proposals, please carefully review and follow the submission guidelines outlined below. Please note, you do not have to be a professionally trained curator to submit a proposal as submissions will be judged on merit; however, previous exhibition experience will be weighed as an important factor in the selection process. We strongly encourage one, two, and three artist exhibitions, given the smaller scale of the gallery space.
- Quality of the proposed exhibition [preference given to new and site-specific work]
- Need to exhibit in Cuchifritos Gallery & Project Space [based on Project Proposal]
- Project feasibility [based on Project Description]
- Artistic merit and professional record [based on artist(s) and curator(s) bios, CV, and work samples]
- All artists and curators, regardless of age, gender, or nationality
- Artists and curators who are currently enrolled in a college or university program are not eligible to apply
1. Proposal sentence: one concise sentence summarizing your exhibition
2. Project Proposal (max 300 words) please include the following:
– Exhibition description outlining conceptual and thematic goals
– Artist(s) to be exhibited
– Checklist of work to be shown
– Specific interest in Cuchifritos Gallery & Project Space
(Please note: Curators who make art may not include their own work in their proposal.)
– Curator(s) CV and bio (max 100 words)
– Artist(s) CV and artist statement (max 100 words)
4. Sample Work (max 10 images total) at 72 dpi minimum, JPGs
5. Image List with name, title, year, dimensions, and medium. Include a brief sentence describing the work submitted.
Extended Deadline: January 1, 2013
Proposals should be addressed with the subject line Open Call 2012 and emailed to gallery@artistsallianceinc.
Stipends: We offer modest stipends for curators and participating artists, dependent upon funding resources.
Exhibition Information: Duration of exhibits run for 4-6 weeks and are typically scheduled 12-18 months in advance.
Gallery Hours: Tuesday to Sunday from 12 to 6pm (Please note that the gallery is also open by appointment and closed on all major holidays)