New York, NY 10065
James Graham & Sons, located at 32 East 67th Street (Between Park and Madison Avenues) specializes in 19th and 20th century American paintings, American and European sculpture, contemporary art, and British ceramics.
The gallery is recognized as a leading authority in the following categories of American painting: Modernism, mid-century Abstraction, Hudson River School, American Impressionism, the Ashcan School, the Eight, the Stieglitz Circle, Regionalism, and Western art.
The sculpture department specializes in 19th and early 20th century American and European sculpture as well as contemporary works. Areas of expertise include: American western and wildlife, figurative sculpture, Neoclassical marbles, historical subjects and portraits, 20th-century modernism, fountains and garden sculpture, French animalier school, European school, and contemporary animal sculpture in bronze and other mediums including direct stone carving.
The contemporary department represents both established and emerging American artists. One-person and group exhibitions are scheduled throughout the year.
In the late 1970s James Graham & Sons began dealing in the work of well-known British ceramists and is still the only gallery in the United States that specializes in their work within the context of a contemporary program.
Established in 1857, James Graham & Sons is one of the oldest family-run galleries in the United States. The gallery has exhibited the work of some of America's most prominent artists for nearly 150 years. The original founder of the company was Samuel Graham, who was born in Kirkaldy, Scotland. In 1840 he moved to London, where he married Frances Waring of Hareford. Soon after they migrated to New York City. The first official record of Samuel's business activities is listed in the New York City Register of 1857 as, "Samuel Graham, 66 Third Avenue, Furniture."
Sometime between 1857 and 1880, Samuel turned the business over to his son James, who added to the furniture line, "bronzes, turkey rugs, portiers, pictures and rare Curiosities." At the new address of 19 East 14th Street the firm advertised as follows: "I am constantly receiving from Europe all kinds of rare antiques in Furniture, Sculpture, Porcelains and Paintings, Parties desiring to purchase or dispose of any of the above line of goods, would do well to call and examine before purchasing or disposing of the same." In 1955 the firm moved to 1014 Madison Avenue, where the gallery was located for over 50 years. In late 2007, James Graham & Sons moved to 32 East 67th Street, where the business is currently perpetuated by the fifth generation of the Graham family.
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.