Three Shadows Photography Art Centre
In June 2007 two leading photographers – RongRong, from China and inri, from Japan – founded the Three Shadows Photography Art Centre in Beijing's vibrant new art district, Caochangdi. The Centre is the first contemporary art space dedicated exclusively to photography and video art in China. The 4,600 square meter complex includes 880 square meters of gallery space and was designed by renowned artist and architect Ai Weiwei.
Three Shadows aims to become the most professional and comprehensive platform for the promotion of photography and video art in the country.
Through exhibitions, education programs, publications, programs for artists, as well as independent events and engagements, we aim to:
- explore and showcase contemporary Chinese photography
- rediscover important photographic works from the past and give them the place they deserve in the history of photography in China
- initiate a dialogue between China and the international art scene in order to establish China’s presence in the global photography world
- serve as an independent mechanism to introduce contemporary photography to the general public
- influence and facilitate the development of China's contemporary photography
Our development goals will focus on three areas: platform-building, academia, and education, and we aim to:
- establish a new standard for photography exhibitions by exchanging shows with leading international photography institutions
- promote the development of photography culture through the annual Three Shadows Photography Award
- establish the study of photography as an academic endeavor in China through the publication of photography books and regular academic events
- increase the quality of photography education through children's activities and independent programs in collaboration with art schools
General programs and services
- Most of Three Shadows’ programs and services are free and open to the public.
- Annual thematic exhibitions of artists from China and abroad that present an in-depth look at the history, achievements and the new faces of photographic art.
- A library of over 2,000 books, catalogues and journals related to photography and video art.
- A permanent collection of original works by Man Ray, Robert Frank, Bernard Fauçon, Shoji Ueda, Eikoh Hosoe, Daido Moriyama, Nobuyoshi Araki, Toshio Shibata, Yasumasa Morimura, Yuki Onodera, Zhang Haier, Xiong Wenyun, Gao Bo, Zhuang Hui, Wang Xu, Li Yongbin, Hong Lei, Han Lei, Liu Zheng, RongRong & inri, Zuo Xiao Zu Zhou, Xing Danwen, Huang Ya, Wang Ningde, Zhao Liang, Huang Lei, and Chen Lingyang.
- Lectures, seminars and workshops for adults and children.
- Summer concerts and performances
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.