Zipora Fried / Basim Magdy / Nabil Nahas / Dani Tull
13 ESSENTIAL RULES FOR UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD:
1. Never assume or pretend to understand anything. We all know you don’t, just like we don’t.
2. Never try to change anything. You can’t even change yourself.
3. Never claim to like nature or defend the environment. You’re an alien on this planet.
4. Never buy or exchange anything. With every purchase or exchange you drown faster in absurdity whirlpools.
5. Never fall under the false spell of doing good with money. If money didn’t exist in the first place, neither would the poor.
6. Never let yourself fall asleep. You’ll dream.
7. Never try to make a point. No one will ever care.
8. Never use logic. Abstract behavior is the way of this world.
9. Never invent or produce anything. Others will use it and complicate things more.
10. Never trust dogs or people. They both bite when angry.
11. Never forget there are almost 7 billion other people here. You don’t matter. Really, no one cares.
12. Think of death and the dead everyday. Death will still take you by surprise but you will be more prepared than others.
13. Life is a tangled web of unexpected events. Never claim or believe that anything is certain.
— Basim Magdy, 2011 from the artist’s film “13 Essential Rules for Understanding the World”