The Met seeks an Exhibition Designer to join the Design team for a one-year term. The Exhibition Designer will support the development of the exhibition scope including concept design and presentation materials, spatial planning, millwork design and all drawings and renderings. This position will collaborate with other exhibition designers and curators, bringing best practices, and new creative strategies to the table.
The Exhibition Designer must have the capacity to support the design team in all phases of an exhibition and be able to effectively communicate with external consultants from case manufacturers to architects, designers, media consultants and other types of expertise in order to realize needs of display and exhibition experience. They should have experience creating design documents, familiarity with construction bid packages, custom millwork detailing and possess the technical and rendering skills (Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc.) to develop, present and test design ideas visually. This person will collaborate with Design Managers to bring alternative or enhanced design potential to shows at all three locations, support designers by creating presentation models, making scale maquettes, and research visual / fabrication materials. This person should also be available to support institutional projects that require rendering, three-dimensional thinking or visitor experience design.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support exhibition design team for all three locations
- Design from research and concept through execution/production supervision
- Possess a high level of organization and file management
- Prepare design document drawings, floor plans, detail drawings, case lists or schedules for internal museum reviews and construction bid documents
- Collaborate with exhibition design team to enhance design and realize exhibitions
- Construct models or mock ups for design and presentation purposes -Coordinate fabrication with in-house production team or outside vendors when needed
- Help facilitate communication with Design Managers during the final installation process of all major projects, installations, or exhibitions as assigned
Other related duties Experience and Skills:
- At least three to five years experience in exhibition design or industrial design are required
- Full knowledge of construction techniques, fabrication skills, materials, and project management
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Rhino, 3ds Max, is required -Strong organizational and design presentation skills
- Experience and knowledge of proper art handling procedures and art or object installation and display experience preferred -Good communication skills and ability to function as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines Knowledge and Education:
- B.A. degree in exhibition design, industrial design or equivalent field of work is required. MFA or MArch preferred.
- Modelmaking, good handcraft skills, and knowledge of construction techniques are required
- Museum exhibition design experience required
- Portfolio submission required
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
How to Apply: Send CV, cover letter, and portfolio to Careers@metmuseum.org with job title in the subject line. Submissions without portfolios will not be considered.