The Finnish Academy of Fine Arts invites applications for a full-time and a part-time (50%) professorship in Artistic Research to be filled for a fixed term from 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2019. The reason for offering the position on a fixed-term basis is the nature of the artistic teaching duties in question, the changing needs of artistic activity and teaching. The application period closes on 30 April 2014 at 15h local Helsinki time (UCT+2).
Since 1997, the Academy of Fine Arts has offered the postgraduate degree of Doctor of Fine Arts (DFA). The Academy’s doctoral education is coordinated through the Postgraduate programme.
Doctoral students are experts in their field—visual artists with a strong research-oriented approach. They cultivate a conscious relationship with their artistic expression and need to investigate and develop practices and strategies of artistic work.
The languages of teaching are Finnish and English.
The professor will carry out artistic and theoretical work as well as provide teaching and supervision based thereon.
The specific duties of the professor of Artistic Research will include the following:
– Manage the Academy’s Postgraduate programme (the full-time position)
– Provide and further develop teaching in the Postgraduate programme
– Bear special responsibility for the teaching and individual supervision of doctoral students
– Supervise and examine theses
– Plan and design the Postgraduate programme
– Participate in the collaboration between Academy study programmes and joint studies
– Carry out independent artistic and/or theoretical activities
– Participate in the Academy’s administrative activities
– Collaborate with the other academies at the University of the Arts Helsinki and with other universities and institutions
– Follow developments in the arts and to promote community interaction and international cooperation
– Other duties belonging or assigned to the professor
The qualification requirements for the professor of Artistic Research include artistic and/or theoretical merits and qualifications, good teaching skills and broad knowledge of contemporary art. A doctoral degree is required for the full-time position, and will be considered an asset in the part-time position.
The successful candidate will possess not only the above merits and qualifications, but also a special interest and enthusiasm for developing the field of teaching and education. The appointee must also be able to foster broad international cooperation. Consequently, he or she should have a vision for renewing artistic research while monitoring international developments in the field.
When assessing the merits of applicants, attention will focus on extensive competence in the field, experience of supervising research activities, teaching experience and pedagogical training. University-level teaching experience will be considered an asset.
How to apply
Applications, together with the required enclosures, should be submitted in four copies in English.
Applications must include the following enclosures:
– A written report on the artistic and/or theoretical as well as teaching merits relevant to the position
– A portfolio indicating the applicant’s key artistic and/or research activities as well as his or her view of current artistic research and vision for further developing the field
– A report on the applicant’s key research as well as research approaches and methods
– A curriculum vitae
– A list of publications
– A certificate of language skills
Applications must be submitted by post to the following address:
Finnish Academy of Fine Arts
University of the Arts Helsinki
PO Box 10
The envelope should be marked: “(Part-time) professorship in Artistic Research.” The same application can be used to apply for both professorships in Artistic Research, but this must be clearly indicated on both the envelope and the application itself.
The closing date for applications is 30 April at 15h local Helsinki time (UCT+2). Late applications will not be considered. For more information, see the complete call for applications.