The Whitney is creating the position of Director of Visitor Operations (DVO) in anticipation of opening its new, Renzo Piano–designed Museum facility in the meatpacking district, located at the southern terminus of the High Line.
As a senior post reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the DVO will have general responsibility for monitoring, managing, and collaborating with others to create for Whitney visitors an ideal experience.
- The DVO will be responsible for planning current and long-range delivery of quality service to all visitors including visitor services, protective services, group sales and service, frontline staff and volunteer service training, oversight of theater and film & video gallery logistics, and the institutional scheduling system. The position will collaborate with Membership to deliver on its services to the visitor. Depending on the incumbent’s skill set and experience other areas may also report to this position.
- The DVO will play a leadership and collaborative role in the oversight of the Visitor Experience working group, a cross-departmental team working to coordinate and execute common goals and the promotion of the Whitney’s ethos and brand.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Hiring, training, mentoring and evaluating VO staff, including volunteers, who serve as the public face of the Museum and carry out its service goals
- Developing annual and long-term plans and budgets
- Providing senior management and colleagues with analysis and progress reports
- Other related tasks as needed
- Must have a minimum of 7-10 years leadership experience in a closely related management capacity, along with experience in hospitality, sales, and customer relations at a senior level
- Must have expert communication and presentation skills as well as superb team building and diplomacy skills
- B.A. degree required; a Master’s degree in relevant fields is preferred
To apply for a position, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Whitney Museum of American Art
Human Resources Department
945 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10021