The Gibberd Gallery is a purpose built contemporary exhibition space in the centre of Harlow on the mezzanine floor of the Civic Centre. It is home to the important collection of British watercolours donated to the town by sir Frederick Gibberd in 1984.
The programme is a lively mix of local and national shows attracting a broad audience and each year there is a 3D focus within the programme emphasising Harlow's status as a sculpture town. Activities often accompany shows including talks, demonstrations and workshops.
The gallery is run by Harlow Art Trust a charity formed in 1953 which also commissions and purchases sculpture for the town. The Friends of Harlow Sculpture and Gibberd Gallery help with fundraising and have events,talks and trips for a small yearly subscription.
Volunteering opportunities are varied and interesting and offer the chance to be involved in the arts.
Harlow Art Trust have just been awarded ACE finding for a three year programme "Reframe" this is very exciting news for arts and culture in Harlow. In September 2013 we will start a young curator programme for 13-19 year olds this will result in a silver arts award ; we are very grateful to Royal Opera House Bridge for funding this exclusive programme for applications and more information about "Reframe" please call the gallery.