E1 7LS London
About Raven Row
Raven Row is a new non-profit contemporary art exhibition centre in Spitalfields that is open free to the public, Wednesdays to Sundays. It has been constructed within eighteenth century domestic rooms, onto which 6a Architects have added two contemporary galleries, and it stands on the part of Artillery Lane that was known as Raven Row until 1895.
Raven Row’s programme is intended to appeal both to a specialist audience and a broader, curious public. It is led by a desire to test art's purpose outside the market place. It will exhibit diverse work of the highest quality, often by established international artists, or those from the recent past, who have somehow escaped London's attention. However, the programme will remain improvisatory and un-dogmatic, and the qualities that might constitute Raven Row’s success, its ‘cultural value’, will remain open to question.
Flats in the building’s upper floors host visiting artists and curators, invited to contribute to the exhibition programme. Four Corners Books, an acclaimed non-profit publisher of artists’ books and books on art are based in the building and will occasionally program exhibitions and share events.
Raven Row is programmed and funded by its founding director Alex Sainsbury. It is a charitable company with a board responsible for overseeing the organisation, currently comprising Alex Farquharson, Director, Nottingham Contemporary; Pablo Lafuente, Managing Editor, Afterall and Associate Curator, Office for Contemporary Art Norway; Jenni Lomax, Director, Camden Arts Centre; Silke Otto-Knapp, artist; as well as Alex Sainsbury.
Raven Row is a new contemporary art centre in Spitalfields, which opened to the public in February 2009 with the exhibition ‘Ray Johnson. Please Add to & Return’. The galleries, described as ‘jaw-droppingly elegant’ by Adrian Searle at the Guardian, stand on the part of Artillery Lane known as Raven Row until 1895.
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.