The Cuming Museum is the home of the worldwide collection of the Cuming Family and the museum of Southwark's history. It houses a diverse collection that includes archaeology, ethnography, social history and natural history. A mix of permanent and changing exhibitions tells the story of the Cuming family and the history of Southwark, from Roman times to the diverse communities of today.
Opened to the public in 1906, the Cuming Museum is the result of over 100 years of collecting by father and son, Richard and Henry Cuming.
The museum is divided into three sections
the first gallery tells the story of the Cuming family and their collection
the second gallery focuses on the history of Southwark and is split into three areas, settling here, a place to visit and world connections - the Southwark gallery looks at the people who have lived and worked here from Roman times to today
the third gallery in the museum is the temporary exhibition gallery - our exhibitions change every four to six months.
The three galleries at the Cuming Museum contain a variety of hands on activities for younger visitors, including craft activities, trails, games and costumes to try on.