Simple Mechanisms – Strange Behaviors with Pe Lang
San Francisco, CA 94133
Berlin-based artist Pe Lang is featured in the exhibition Think Art – Act Science, open from September 21-November 12 in SFAI's Walter and McBean Galleries. As a participant in the Swiss artists-in-labs program, Lang completed an immersive residency at the Swiss Centre for Electronics and Microtechnology. The resulting installation Kinetic Speakers is a mobile system that generates a dynamic sonic environment in which the visitor can explore the acoustic properties of the room according to his or her position.
In the workshop “Simple Mechanisms – Strange Behavior” (free and open to the public), participants will construct mobile objects, sound devices, and sound sculptures using basic materials.
Focus of the workshop:
- Exploring simple systems with complex kinetic and / or sonic behaviors
- Dealing with simple solutions
- Exploring methods of producing motion and vibration
- Building basic kinetic mechanisms
- Introduction to new and smart materials
Duration: 2 - 3 Hours
Level of technical difficulties: easy
Required knowledge: none