Los Angeles, CA 90034
In August, 2011, we closed our doors at 2525 Michigan Ave in Santa Monica to begin the process of moving to our current address at 2639 South La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles. We acquired a 1953 courtyard building and worked in collaboration with W3 Architects to carefully reimagine its design.
Now, with a generous new exhibition space filled with natural light, and welcoming a new director-curator alongside, Samuel Freeman—while still remembering its historical roots in Betty Asher and Patricia Faure’s Asher/Faure Gallery—looks forward to the addition of exciting, challenging, and relevant contemporary programming in this new location and context.
History of the Gallery
Asher/Faure opened on May 26, 1979 with paintings by Morris Louis at 8221 Santa Monica Blvd. In March of 1982, the Gallery moved to 612 N. Almont Drive, with a show of artists from Pace gallery. In 1994, after the death of Betty Asher, the gallery moved to Bergamot Station, at 2525 Michigan Ave, in Santa Monica, as the Patricia Faure Gallery. In 2005, the gallery was sold to Samuel Freeman, but continued to operate under the Patricia Faure Gallery name until March of 2008, when the name was changed to Samuel Freeman. After handing over the reins and ensuring the continuity of the gallery, Patricia Faure passed away in October, 2008. The gallery continues the legacy of both Ms. Faure and Ms. Asher (Petty and Batty, to friends) in hopes of honoring them and all the artists who show with us now or in the past.