The First of Its Kind: The Riverside Auto Center, 1965
Touring to the Fox Performing Arts Center for the Mayor's Celebration for Arts & Innvoation on Saturday, October 12
Auto malls are a rather ubiquitous sight as one travels the freeway systems of Southern California, however, few realize that prior to the early 1960s the concept of a centrally located and organized collection of auto dealerships was unheard of. Envisaged in 1958 and dedicated in 1965, the Riverside Auto Center was the first of its kind in the country and exemplified both the mid-twentieth century penchant for revolutionary business models as well as the Mid-Century Modern architectural style that became a virtual standard for automobile dealerships in Southern California and beyond. This exhibition is a rare opportunity to view artwork related to the Mid-Century Modern Architecture of the original Riverside Auto Center and the home of Dutton Automotive (formerly known as Rubidoux Motor Co.), the only original Riverside Auto Center dealership building that remains in use.
Guest Curator Lindsey Rossi is an independent curator who specializes in the history of design and decorative arts. She has worked on design exhibitions and publications at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Bard Graduate Center Gallery, the Museum of Arts and Design, and the British Museum. In 2012, Lindsey curated the well-received Riverside Art Museum exhibition, Julia Morgan: Foundation and Transition, which focused on the exceptional work of the first licensed woman architect in California and designer of the present home of RAM.