Artists! Get Your Website Together - Web 2.0
Pasadena, CA 91103
Need an effective and professional web presence for your art career? You got 4 choices:
- Pay someone to design a traditional website for you (remember: you get what you pay for).
- Ask your friend's snot-nosed kid to build you a free website (remember: you get what you pay for).
- Build a website yourself the "old fashioned way," after spending $1,500 on software that you don't know how to use (don't forget the $400 for upgrades every 2 years).
- Build yourself a professional on-line presence using the new "Web 2.0" generation of free & easy "social networking" tools.
Unless you're a masochist, the correct answer is #4. It also happens to be the motivation for Side Street's new survival workshop for artists.
Let fellow artist and certified web-maven D. Jean Hester show you the brave & easy new world of the Web, which is all about immediacy, simplicity, community, and networking.
A lot has changed in the past two years. More people are producing & distributing on-line content than ever before. Everyone is a media outlet, but it's not because everyone (but you) has become a web professional. It's because new tools have made the mass amateurization of media possible. If history is made by those who show up, then you better watch out, because here comes everybody.
Get Your Web 2.0 Together will cover the philosophical and strategy stuff first, then we'll dive right into things like:
- Blogs and on-line content management systems like WordPress, among others
- Photo & video sharing sites like Flickr, YouTube, and Vimeo
- Social networking sites perfect for artists, such as Facebook, Linked-In, Über, ArtSlant, Twitter, and (yes) even MySpace, which was voted by PC Magazine as the "World's Worst Website."
- Plus a whole slew of free resources for artists that can only be found on line.
This class ain't all talk. Hardly. You'll pull out a laptop and build an integrated web presence right then and there in the classroom, using both free and/or premium services available on-line. You can bring your own laptop, or borrow one of ours. When you go home (or for that matter, anywhere in the world with a computer and web connection) you can easily update your professional web presence without the need for expensive software.
Tuition includes free technical assistance and on-site use of Side Street Projects' Mobile Digital Lab for the duration of the workshop (by appointment Mondays through Saturdays, 10am-6pm).
Novice, intermediate, and advanced users welcome.
For more information or to sign up on-line, go to our website: www.sidestreet.org
or call us @ 626-798-7774