Bigindicator

Installation of "Wind Sound", 1970

Event  |  Reviews  |  Comments
20110923164032-leavitt_wind_sound_press
Installation of "Wind Sound", 1970

Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences, 2nd Floor Peter Boxenbaum Arts Building
1714 21st St.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
October 1st, 2011 - October 11th, 2011
Opening: October 1st, 2011 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

QUICK FACTS
WEBSITE:  
http://www.xrds.org/samfrancisgallery
NEIGHBORHOOD:  
santa monica/venice
EMAIL:  
samfrancisgallery@xrds.org
PHONE:  
310- 829-7391 x425
OPEN HOURS:  
Mon- Fri 10am-4pm and by appointment

DESCRIPTION

From October 1 – 11, a solo installation of William Leavitt’s Wind Sound will be presented in the Sam Francis Gallery. It will remain on view after the She Accepts the Proposition opening on October 15.

About Wind Sound (1970): This sound piece was presented at Eugenia Butler Gallery in 1970 as part of William Leavitt’s first solo exhibition in a commercial gallery. For the show, Leavitt created two tableaux, Forest Sound (1970) and Garden Sound (1970), in which he explored the use of artificial elements such as plastic plants and trees as well as sound effects to evoke the natural while not attempting to disguise the artificiality of either situation. In contrast, Wind Sound, installed in the Butler Gallery office, was spare. Leavitt appropriated a stock recording of wind purchased from a sound effects library on La Brea Avenue. The looped sound was then fed through a basic “Radio Shack” transmitter and received on a transistor radio on an opposing wall; the resultant broadcast being what Leavitt has called “absurdist.”

She accepts the proposition: Women Gallerists and the redefinition of art in Los Angeles, 1967-1978 is presented as part of the Pacific Standard Time initiative.