Jesus A. Mata
My interest in drawing began at a young age. I remember trying to capture the image of things that caught my attention; some of these things were animals, plants, landscapes, people and countless others. My urge to sketch and draw was part of who I am and the act of mark making always felt natural. It was like creating magic, it allowed me to escape and go beyond reality into my own magical world.
My work is about how I experience the world around me, natural and artificial, organic and inorganic, concrete or ephemeral.
Master of Fine Arts - MFA (Drawing,Painting, Sculpture)
May 2009 New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM
Bachelor of Fine Arts - BFA (Studio Art)
Bachelor of Arts in Spanish
May 1995 New MexicoStateUniversity
Las Cruces, NM
2006 – Present Adjunct Instructor, Las Cruces, NM
Drawing and Sculpture Instructor
- Instructs – Drawing I, III, Sculpture I, II, III
- Assists and Monitors Students for drawing and sculpture classes
1995 – Present Self-Employed Las Cruces, NM
- Specializes on private and public commissions.
- Assists the El PasoCountySheriffs Office - Criminal Investigation Division - Crimes Against Persons in Forensic and Profiling Sculpture
- Creates sculptures and paintings with different mediums – paper, charcoal, graphite, acrylic, glass, stone, bronze, metal, wood (table tops to monumental)j
Galleries representing art work:
- Charles Inc. Design Studio, Santa Fe, NM
- Marvelous Stone - El Paso, TX
- Patio Gallery, Las Cruces, NM (have represented work)
- LazaroArtGallery, Mesilla, NM (have represented work)
1995 - Present
Private Art Instructor
Conducts studio art classes to the private and public sectors on the following:
- Metal Arts
2009 New Mexico State University – Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition
2008 New Mexico State University- Corbett Center 2-man show
2007 New Mexico State University Student Exhibition
2006 New MexicoStateUniversity Student Exhibition
2004-1997 (September) Arts HOP Charles, Inc Gallery
2004 National Latino Council on Alcohol and Tobacco Prevention Conference – Art and Tobacco Prevention Activities – Albuquerque, New Mexico
2003 Garland Appeal Foundation (A Commemoration of the Life of Linda McCartney--- Foundation) – Exhibition and Auction
2002 Sierra Providence Health Network’s/International Museum of Art
2003-1996 IMAR & Marvelous Stone
1999 Glenn Cutter Gallery
1999 Jemez Springs Gallery
1995 B.F.A. Thesis Exhibition – New MexicoStateUniversity
1994-1996 ArtSHOP Adobe Patio Gallery
1994-1996 Galleria Lazaro
1993-1999 New MexicoStateUniversityArtGallery
1992-1993 Community Arts Gallery
1985-1987 New MexicoState Fair
1999-2001 Southwest Stone Carving Symposium
Jemez Springs, New Mexico
1994 Vivian B. Head Scholarship
1993 Janet Swanson Scholarship
1992-1994 & 1999 Student Art Exhibition Award at New MexicoStateU.
1987 New Mexico State Fair Award
1985 Concurso Nacional de Examenes de la Asociacion Americana de Maestros de Español y Portugues - Award
- Art Work at Private Collections
USA (New Mexico, Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New York, Washington, DC)
Fluent Bilingual / Bicultural - English and Spanish
- 2005- Present Volunteer with Concilio CDS, Inc.- Civic Engagement programs.
- 2004 Conference Presenter – Albuquerque, NM - National Latino Council on Alcohol and Tobacco Prevention – youth art projects.
- 2003- Present Fellow for National Latino Council on Alcohol and Tobacco Prevention – working with the educational system in southern New Mexico.
- 1997-2004 Donated several art pieces (sculptures, drawings or other) to not-for-profit organizations, such as the Leukemia Society, NM Teen Pregnancy Coalition, La Clinica de Familia, and Garland Appeal Foundation (A Commemoration of the Life of Linda McCartney--- Foundation).
- Designed logo for STD’s Communication Campaign at New MexicoStateUniversity for Master of Public Health Department.
- 1993 Designed logo for the Adolescent Family Life Program for teen pregnancy prevention program in Southern New Mexico.
1995-Present GadsdenIndependentSchool District – Artist in Residence
1998 – 2004 Las Cruces, NM, Santa Teresa, NM, Sunland Park,NM
Programa Bienestar – La Clinica de Familia, Inc.
Santa Teresa Middle & High Schools Art Education and Tobacco Control, Alcohol Prevention and Substance Abuse Prevention Program.
a.) Introduced new materials and techniques for art projects.
b.) Conducted art history education and art appreciation classes.
c.) Planned, coordinated, evaluated student art exhibitions for SantaTeresaMiddle School, and High School.
1995 – 1998
Peer Education Program Truth or Consequences, NM
- Assisted Health Educator in recruitment of youth ages 12-15 for Peer Education Program.
- Conducted presentations and classes on drawing, painting, and sculpture for youth.
- Conducted art history education and art appreciation classes.
- Conducted presentations as well on youth goals, self-esteem, and substance abuse prevention.
Art Exhibition Juror
- 2000 - 2009 Juror for the Gadsden Independent School District Student Art Exhibition.
- 1996 Juror for Art exhibition poster contest for Middle School Students in Truth or Consequences, NM. Tobacco Prevention (topic).
Studied under the following Artists:
Jacklyn St. Aubin (New Mexico State University 1992-1995, 2006-2009)
Joshua Rose (New Mexico State University 2006-2009)
Dale Newkirk (New Mexico State University 1992-1994)
Rachel Stevens (New Mexico State University 1994-1995, 2006-2009)
Spencer Fidler (New Mexico State University 1993)
John Pabor- (New Mexico State University 1993)
Steve Edwards – El Paso, TX (1985-1988)
Attended Workshops under the following Artists:
Jesus Bautista Moroles – Houston, TX Sculptor (2001)
Rollie Grandbois – Jemez Springs, NM Sculptor (1999-2001)
Jerald Lynch – New York, NY (1999-2000)
Cliff Fragua – New Mexico (1999-2000)
Lincoln Fox – New York, NY (1995)