Laura - Anne Fung
Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/LauraFungArt
I was born in Kingston, Jamaica 1992.
My paintings always commence when I have the urge to paint. I paint because it is what I love to do and it comes naturally, it's like a daily routine. I aspire to be a well known artist in the near future and to be appreciated for my artwork, especially since I am a young artist. I would like to attend a great art university like SCAD or SMU very soon. Since I always have the urge to paint, when I actually do get to the canvas, most times I do not know what I am going to paint. I paint from within, using bright, vibrant colors; colors should compliment each other or contrast others to make them stand out. They often reflect how I am feeling. I just let my imagination flow at the spur of the moment. At other times I may have an image in my head that I want to create and put to canvas. I mostly use acrylic paints, once in a while I will incorporate other media like tissue paper, cotton, stones, etc... I use acrylic because of its versatility and the ease of use. Some days I feel like being quick and less messy so I use a palette knife and scrape the paint around, I find that the brush holds in the paint so I avoid that at times. I use different brushes for different styles, textures and techniques. I think that over the months of the past few years my style has changed and this is due to me maturing and experimenting with different stuff and always trying new things. I am told that my current work is rather sophisticated especially because of my young age. I am exploring my abilities, attempting to become better and better each time.
• National Visual Art Competition & Exhibition: 2006 (Gold medal & Merit certificate)
• National Visual Art Competition & Exhibition: 2007 (1 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze, 1 Merit, The Viewer's Vote Prize & The Promise Prize)
• Liguanea Art Festival - 2008
• National Visual Art Competition & Exhibition: 2008 (Bronze Medal)
• Group Exhibition - Olympia Gallery, Jamaica 2008, "Art in Focus"
• Liguanea Art Festival - 2009
• Group Exhibition – Art on the Run, Jamaica 2009 – CFW (Caribbean fashion week)
• Group Exhibition – 2009 Art Fusion Gallery, Miami FL, "Esoteric Illusions"
• National Visual Art Competition & Exhibition: July 2009 (Silver Medal)
• Group Exhibition – "Jamaican Art in London" -Jamaica High Commission, London 2009