Sawyer Rose is a sculpture, metalwork, and social practice artist. Born and raised in North Carolina and a graduate of Williams College in Massachusetts, she has made the Bay Area her home since 1999.
Sawyer has had solo and two-artist shows at Inclusions Gallery in San Francisco, GearBox Gallery in Oakland, Classic Cars West in Oakland, and Marin Headlands Visitors Center in Sausalito. She has been commissioned by Kaiser Permanente, developers Gerding Edlen, and architects Pacific Peninsula Group.
Her work is represented by CK Contemporary in San Francisco, CA.
Sawyer has been a resident artist at The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, The Tyrone Guthrie Centre in Ireland, Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture in San Francisco, Vermont Studio Center, and Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina. She has been awarded a residency at the Ragdale Foundation for 2018.
She has been awarded merit grants from The Center for Cultural Innovation’s Creative Capacity Fund, The Awesome Foundation, and Vermont Studio Center.
Sawyer is the President of the Northern California Women’s Caucus for Art, and served on the Board of Directors of Oakland Art Murmur, Oakland, CA.
- 1996, BA, Art, Williams College, Mass., cum laude
- 1995, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland
Solo & Two-Person Exhibitions:
- "Force of Nature," sculpture, photographic portraiture, social practice, from The Carrying Stones Project, Classic Cars West Gallery, Oakland, CA. Curated by Dasha Matsuura, director, Spoke Art (solo)
- "Ties That Bind," public sculpture, social practice, and performance, from the Carrying Stones Project, Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture, San Francisco, CA (solo)
- "Surface & Strata," GearBox Gallery, Oakland, CA
- "Seeds of the Monoliths," Room Art Gallery, Mill Valley, CA
- “Flux,” Classic Cars West Gallery with Chandra Cerrito Contemporary, Oakland, CA (solo)
- "Subtle/Luminous," Marin County Free Library, Fairfax, CA (solo)
- “Dusk to Dawn,” Inclusions Gallery, San Francisco, CA (solo)
- Marin Headlands Visitors Center, Sausalito, CA (solo)
- “NATIVE: California Plants in Metal, Glass & Light,” Inclusions Gallery, San Francisco, CA (solo)
Interactive Events & Performances:
- "The Weight of Your World," social practice public interactive event, Classic Cars West Gallery, Oakland, CA
- "Ties That Bind," social practice public sculpture assembly event, Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture, San Francisco, CA
- "Ties That Bind," 10-minute performance with 13 actors, Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture, San Francisco, CA
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- CK Contemporary, San Francisco, CA (ongoing representation)
- "Currently 80," with Sculptors Guild, Westbeth Gallery, New York, NY
- "Currently 80 on Governors Island," with Sculptors Guild, Governors Island, New York, NY
- "Selections 2017," with ArtSpan SF, Heron Arts, San Francisco, CA
- "Wood, Metal & Memory," 3-artist exhibition, Inclusions Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- "Crop Up," Third Street Village Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- "Legacy of Creativity," Hance Fine Arts Center, Charlotte, NC
- "American Twist," Antenna Gallery, New Orleans, LA
- “Bike,” Back to the Picture Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Room Art Gallery, Mill Valley, CA
- Chandra Cerrito Contemporary, Oakland, CA
- Art Market San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- "American Twist," Sculptors Guild, New York, NY
- "The Alchemist," Root Division, San Francisco, CA
- "Abstract Sanctuary," Verum Ultimum Gallery, Portland, OR
- "Terrain," STUDIO Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- "tiny," STUDIO Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- "Backyard Beauty," Harrington Gallery, Pleasanton, CA
- "International Sculpture Day Exhibit," Art Object Gallery, San Jose, CA
- "Impulse," ARC Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- 9-piece sculpture installation, Room Art Gallery, Mill Valley, CA
- Chandra Cerrito Contemporary, Oakland, CA
- StARTup Art Fair, ArtSpan Artist Exhibit, San Francisco, CA
- "14th National Prize Show," Kathryn Schultz Gallery, Cambridge Art Assn., Cambridge, MA
- "Hilton Head Biennial," Walter Greer Gallery, Hilton Head, SC
- Waterloo Arts Gallery, Cleveland, OH
- "ArtSpan Juried Benefit Art Auction," SOMArts Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA
- "Wetlands," Sebastopol Center for the Arts, Sebastopol, CA
- "Retrospective 7," Inclusions Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- "Crazy Big Art Show," Mine Gallery, Fairfax, CA
- “FourSquared,” Arc Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- "ReThinkIt: New Ways of Thinking About Art & the Enviornment," Vernon Davis Foundation for the Arts, San Jose, CA
- “Rooted,” Lark & Key Gallery, Charlotte, NC
- “Explorations Westward,” Mine Gallery, Fairfax, CA
- The Grand Hand Gallery, Napa, CA
- 2015, 9-piece suspended sculpture installation, Pacific Peninsula Group, Atherton, CA
- 2014, "Piquant," six-panel metalwork, Kaiser Permanente
- 2013, “Wild California,” large-scale silkscreen (12 x 25 ft.), silkscreen ink on glass, The Etta Building, San Francisco, CA
Grants & Awards:
- 2017, The Awesome Foundation Grant
- 2016, Vermont Studio Center Merit Grant
- 2015, Juror's Choice, Top 10 SFOS Artists to Visit (Juror: Maryanna Rogers, Hasso Plattner Institute of Design, Stanford University)
- 2014, Center for Cultural Innovation, Creative Capacity Fund
- 2014, Vermont Studio Center Merit Grant
- 2013, Vermont Studio Center Merit Grant
- 2018, Ragdale, Lake Forest, IL (upcoming)
- 2017, MassMoCA, North Adams, MA
- 2016, The Tyrone Guthrie Centre at Annaghmakerrig, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan, Ireland
- 2016, Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture, San Francisco, CA
- 2016, Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
- 2016, Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, Vermont
- 2014 - 2016, Town of Fairfax Artist-in-Residence
- 2014, Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, Vermont
- 2013, Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, Vermont
Bibliography & Public Appearances:
- Web log post. SFMOMA Tumblr. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 6 October 2017. Web.
- Steinberg, J. (et al Eds.). (2017, November). About Town. San Francisco Magazine, 64(11), 116.
- Larson, V. (2017, September 8). Women’s work visualized in Fairfax artist’s project.
Marin Independent Journal. Print.
- ----------, (2017, September 6). http://www.marinij.com/arts-and-entertainment/20170906/womens-work-visualized-in-fairfax-artists-project. Web.
- Soriano, A. (2017, August 30). Force of Nature. East Bay Express, p. 27. Print.
- ----------, Forces of Nature at Classic Cars West. https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/force-of-nature/Content?oid=8743205. Web.
- Patterson, K. (2017, August 10). http://sfartfulliving.com/2017/08/10/a-womans-work-is-never-done-and-there-is-an-app-for-that/ [Web log post].
- Munemo, J. (2017, Spring). Woman's Work. Williams Magazine, 111(3), 24-29. Print.
- ----------, https://magazine.williams.edu/2017/spring/feature/womans-work/ Web.
- Interview with Sawyer Rose: ArtSpan 2017 Selections Exhibit. Dir. Sandra Yagi. Northern California Women's Caucus for Art, 15 Feb. 2017. Web.
- Carey, K. (2017, June 27). What Does it Take to Make it as an Artist? www.artworkarchive.com [Web log post]
- Panelist, ArtSpan Panel Discussion: International Artist Residency, San Francisco, CA, January 27, 2017.
- Carey, K. (2016, December 1). Artist Spotlight: Sawyer Rose on Women's Labor and How to Land the Perfect Residency [Web log post]. Retrieved from www.artworkarchive.comCooper, Lauren, Hannah Harrington, and Ben Rowen, eds. "Matilija Poppy." Berkeley Fiction Review, 36 (2016): n. pag. Print.
- Argo, Christine, ed., "Bronwen" and "Liaison," Nature Inspired Spring (2016): 139, 141. Print.
- "Carrying Stones." NCWCA News & Notes 61 (11 Feb. 2016): www.ncwca.org. Northern California Women's Caucus for Art. Web.
- MacFadyen, Rihannon Evans, Donna Napper, and Brion Nuda Rosch, eds. MFA Never. Vol. 1. San Francisco: Root Division (2016). 144. Print.
- Panelist, Oakland Art Murmur Symposium, "Mixed in Oakland," Oakland, CA, April 26, 2015.
- Ober, Doris, ed. West Marin Review 6 (2015): 120-21. Print.
- Web log post. Hyperallergic LABS. Hyperallergic.com, 7 July 2015. Web.
- Web log post. SFMOMA Tumblr. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 17 July 2015. Web.
- KPFA, "Women's Magazine," November 3, 2014. [https://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/108...]
- Larson, Vicki. “Fairfax artist pays tribute to wild California.” Marin Independent Journal. April 4, 2013. [www.marinij.com/lifestyles/ci_22896874/fairfax-artist-pays-tribute-wild-california]
- Lappin, Todd. “Super-Chic Art Opening at Inclusions, Saturday.” Bernalwood. July 13, 2012.
Professional Affiliations & Experience:
- 2017- current, President, Women's Caucus for Art, Northern California chapter, San Francisco, CA (member since 2015)
- 2015-2017, Board of Directors, Oakland Art Murmur, Oakland, CA
- 2015-2017, Member, Sculptors Guild, New York, NY
- 2015-2016, Member, International Sculpture Center, Pacific Rim Sculptors chapter, Berkeley, CA
- 1997, Director, Fothoui Kramer Gallery, East Hampton, NY
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.