Studies music at the Mendelssohn Bartholdy Akademie, Leipzig. Develops strong interest in the composition of Arnold Schoenberg, Anton Weber, Alban Berg, and Leos Janácek. Introduced to Impressionist, Fauve, and Russian Constructivist art.
1959 - 1960
Leaves East Germany and settles in West Berlin. Renews studies at the Hochschule der Musik (Academy of Music), Berlin. Meets German experimental photographer Heinz Hajek-Halke. In addition to music classes, studies experimental photography and art at the Hochschule für bildende Künste (Academy of Fine Arts), Berlin, under Hajek-Halke’s supervision.
1961 - 1970
Passes music exam and receives diploma. Engaged by Berlin’s opera company, the Deutsche Oper Berlin. Studies fine art at the Hochschule für bildende Künste until 1964. Experiments in painting, sculpture, etching, and photography.
Travels to Japan with the Deutsche Oper Berlin to perform Arnold Schoenberg’s Moses and Aron. Spends four months in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara.
1971 - 1975
Continues working in photography, painting, sculpture, and etching. First art exhibition at the Deutsche Oper Berlin in 1974.
Travels to Monte Isola, Italy, where Appelt makes the first Hanging. The image is a breakthrough and the beginning of a concentrated period of photographic work
Leaves the Deutsche Oper Berlin to concentrate exclusively on visual arts.
Appointed Head of department for film, video, and photography at the Hochschule für bildende Künste Berlin.
Begins investigating platinum techniques.
Builds mechanical device for objects to rotate before camera.
1988 - 1990
Curates exhibition, Zwischen Schwarz und Weiß for the Neuer Berliner Kunstverein, Berlin
Receives the Knight Purchase Prize for Photographic Media from the Akron Art Museum, Ohio.
Lives and works in Berlin
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montreal, Canada (solo)
Galerie Guy Bärtschi, Genf (solo)
Pace McGill Gallery, New York (solo)
Van Laere Contemporary Art, Antwerpen (solo)
Saarland Museum, Saarbrücken (solo)
S.M.A.K. Stedelijk Museum voor Actuelle Kunst, Gent (solo)