Columbus College of Art and Design CCAD, 1972, BFA
New York Institute of Technology, 1979, MFA
Jerry W. McDanile's Statement
I am a heterogeneous artist, currently living in Los Angeles, California. My objective is to express ideas through surrealistic symbolism via subliminal factors in the use of color and typography. I create abstract paintings, in acrylic and mixed media, expressionist portraits, and graphic design: books, posters for the entertainment industry, sports, and education.
McDaniel was born during the depression on a farm called The Jake White Place on Rabbit Ridge near Zaleski, in Vinton County, Ohio. His father Hoyt Glen, a 25-year-old cattle farmer, married Lillian, age 16, in West Virginia three months before Jerry was born. At the beginning of World War II, McDaniel's father, fearing the draft, sold all the livestock and moved the family to Athens, Ohio. After his father died in 1951, his mother moved the family to Logan, Ohio to find employment.
In his senior High School year Jerry was an apprentice manager at J. C. Penny in Logan, OH. McDaniel earned a scholarship to the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD). He worked his way through College as a mapmaker for the Ohio State Department of Hydrology. He graduated from CCAD twice, once with a Professional Certificate in 1957 and then with a BFA in 1972. Mr. McDaniel earned a Master of Arts Degree from New York Institute of Technology, NY in 1979.
Moving to New York in July 1957, he worked as a package designer for Continental Can Corporation. McDaniel's first work appeared in Redbook magazine in September 1957. After military service as a Spec 9 architect, McDaniel returned to New York, becoming a graphic designer/art director for the LW Froehlich Company, a large pharmaceutical advertising agency.
In the summer of 1961, Saul Bass's East Coast agent, Lester Rosin Creative Group, became McDaniel’s agent. Mc Daniel's first commission was a national campaign for Pan Am Airlines. This work appeared full-page every Monday in the New York Times for 52 consecutive weeks, followed by 300 drawings in three months for Intercontinental Hotels, which ran worldwide for three years.
In 1963, he enrolled in the Experimental Workshop at the New School for Social Research (NSSR) taught by Italian artist Angelo Savelli and American artist Henry C. Pearson. In 1965, he chaired the Illustrators Annual Show, Society of Illustrators and in 1966 he created the Harlow's poster, for the 1st discoteque in the world, with the influence of the workshop at the NSSR.
In 1967, NBC requested paintings from the US Air Force Collection to air during the launching of the Apollo 11 mission. NBC selected five pieces, one of which was Jerry’s “Dawn of the Day.” The painting was seen on national and international television for 32 minutes of airtime on the Today Show for the Apollo 11 Space Launch.
In 1970, McDaniel was a founding member of the Advertising Design Department at the Fashion Institute of Technology, teaching graphic design at the New York Institute of Technology and lecturing at the Rhode Island School of Design, the School of Visual Arts, the Columbus College of Art and Design, and the Maryland Institute of Art and Design.
In the late 1960s, McDaniel designed and illustrated the complete Zane Grey Western Series for Simon & Schuster, and also created book covers for the S. S. Van Dine "Murder Mystery" series for three different publishers, including Charles Scribner's Sons’s over a ten-year period.
In 1971 Anita Grien became McDaniel’s agent for the next three decades.
He was the MCCAA Tennis Champion for 1971-72. As a result of his tennis success, he was afforded the opportunity to work as a Sports Artist and Designer for Philip Morris for more than 25 years.
McDaniel has conceived and produced short films and film titles, among them the film ICE (Idea, Composition, and Execution) and the film titles for The Bolshoi at The Bolshoi. In 2008, the New York Society of Illustrators commemorated the 50th anniversary of their Annual Show by publishing a book entitled Icons and Images: 50 Years of Illustration, containing 500 of the 25,000 illustrations from the Society's Annuals. McDaniel's 1972 Grand Prix Philip Morris poster was among those selected.
McDaniel's works are in numerous collections:
- Victoria and Albert Museum of Art and Design, London, UK
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL–CIO), Washington, DC
- Bowen House, Logan, OH
- Columbus College of Art and Design, Columbus, OH
- Grumman Corporation, Los Angeles
- International Tennis Hall of Fame, Casino, New Port, RI
- J. Walter Thompson, New York, NY
- Lester Rossin Creative Group, New York, NY
- Metropolitan Museum of Fine Art, New York, NY
- Museum of American Illustration, New York, NY
- Philip Morris International, New York, NY
- Phillip De Rothschild, Paris, France
- Prentice Hall Publisher, New York, NY
- Simon & Schuster, New York, NY
- Smithsonian, Washington DC
- Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- The United States Air Force Art Collection, Pentagon
- VOD Gourmet Corporation, Greenwich, CT
- and many corporate and private collections in the USA, Europe and Australia.
- 2013 Look at ME, Enamel and Acrylic on Canvas, Valley Performance Arts Center (VPAC), California State University, Northridge (CSUN), Northridge, CA
- 2012 I want to dance, Heterogeneous media, Klein Art Academy, Beverly Hills, CA
- 2008 Streetscapes, Acrylic on Canvas, Nunus Gallery, Paris, France
- 2005 Birds, Pineapples, and Paradise, Computer Art (reviewed by La La Land Press), Woodmere Gallery, Los Angeles CA
- 2004 Jerry's Balls, Acrylic on Acrylic Spheres, Media Loft, New Rochelle, NY
- 2004 Circles, Squares and Triangles, Woodmere Gallery, Los Angeles
- 1999 Retrospective, Mixed Media (over l50 works), Media Loft, New Rochelle, NY
- 1996 Electric Art, Buss Gallery, Greenwich, CT
- 1992 Art in Sports, Columbus College of Art and Design, Columbus, Ohio
- 1991 12 International Sports Posters, Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)/SUNY, New York, NY
- 1985 Bird of Paradise, Computer Art, American Museum of Illustration, New York, NY
- 1984 Six Graphics, The Museum of American Illustrations, New York Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- 1983 Marlboro Sports Art, Posters, Philip Morris International, New York, NY
- 1980 Urban Landscapes, Enamel on Circular Canvas (reviewed), Sky Gallery, New York, NY
- 1980 Florenze, Dyanson Galleries, Soho, New York, NY
- 1979 International Tennis Posters, MTC, New York, NY
- 1978 Art On Display, Drawing Silk Screened on Plastic Panels, Society of Illustration, New York, NY
- 1976 The Art of Jerry McDaniel, Mixed Media, NY Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- 1973 Beachscapes, Opaque Watercolor, Buss Gallery, Greenwich, CT
- 1972 Retrospective, House Paint and Enamels on Canvas, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- 1971 Circles, House Paint and Enamels on Canvas, Galleries at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)/SUNY, New York, NY
- 1970 Squares, Bruce Fredric Gallery, New York, NY
- 1969 Rectangles, House Paint on Masonite, Jefferson Gallery, New York, NY
- 1967 Book Covers, Mixed Media, NY Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- 2003 911, New York Times Exhibition, Museum of America Illustration, New York, NY
- 2003-06 Member's Exhibitions, Museum of American Illustration, New York, NY
- 2004 Open Studios (invitational, sponsored by the Halberg Gallery SUNY Purchase), Media Loft, New Rochelle, NY
- 1991-02 Our Own Show, New York Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- 1992-96 Faculty Fine Arts Exhibitions FIT/SUNY, New York, NY
- 1965-93 Illustrators National Annual (juried), Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- 1990,67,60 Annual Exhibition (juried), Art Directors International Annual, New York, NY
- 1990 The Inter-Governmental Philatelic Stamp Exhibition (invitational), Museum of American Illustration, New York, NY
- 1990 The Illustrator as a Printmaker, Museum of American Illustrator, New York, NY
- 1987 NYIT Artteck’87 (first major Computer Art Exhibition in New York), Master Eagle Gallery, New York, NY
- 1986-90 Open Studios, Loft Artist Association, Stamford, CT
- 1986 The Graphic Eye '86, Women In Communications, New Haven, CT
- 1986 Fifth Annual Pacific Northwest Computer Graphics Conference,(invitational), University of Oregon, Oregon
- 1986 Computer as an Art Tool (invitational), Hurllbutt Gallery, Greenwich, CT
- 1986 Art and Design Faculty Show, The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)/SUNY, New York, NY
- 1985 Arttech’85, NYIT, Old Westbury, NY
- 1985 The Connecticut Illustrator (invitational), New Canaan Society for the Arts, CT
- 1982 International Graphics Competition and Exhibition, Portland, OR
- 1982 Dyanson Gallery - Soho, New York, NY
- 1981 Jameson Gallery - Soho, New York, NY
- 1981 A Pictorial History, US Air Force, Museum of American Illustration, New York, NY
- 1980 Stein Gallery, Group Show, New York, NY
- 1979 FIT/SUNY Faculty Graphic Design Exhibition (juried), New York, NY
- 1978 FIT/SUNY Faculty Fine Art Exhibition (juried), New York, NY
- 1978 International Graphics Awards Annual (IGA) (juried, Gold Medal), Oregon
- 1976 Art in Sports, Madison Square Garden Gallery, New York, NY
- 1975 Ten Illustrators, Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
- 1974 24 Famous American Artists, Littleneck Library Gallery, Littleneck, LI
- 1972 Pentagon Collection (selected works), National Gallery, Washington DC
- 1970 National Show, Museum of American Illustration, New York, NY
- 1968 The Armed Forces of The United States, as seen by the Contemporary Artist, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
- 1957 Northwest Territory Watercolor Exhibition, Ohio University, Athens, OH
- 1956 Mississippi Mistress - Massillon Open (invitational), Massillon, OH
- Official website
- ICART - Art Gallery
- “I Want To Dance”: A Jerry W. McDaniel Art Exhibit 09-23-2012
- Jerry McDaniel work in the The United States Air Force Art Collection, Pentagon
- Interview With Jerry W. McDaniel
- Jerry W. McDaniel exhibition at VPAC (Valley Performance Arts Center), California State University, Northridge, Sept-Oct 2013.
- Article mentioning Jerry McDaniel’s work, Romania Libera (in Romanian)
- Saatchi - Jerry W. McDaniel
- Who's Who article
- Jerry W. McDaniel invited at the Dialog of Arts Exhibition, Atheneum e.V. Deutsch-Rumänischer Kulturverein, Dusseldorf, Germany, December 2011. (in German)
- Marina Nicolaev & Bogdan Alexandru Ungureanu, Catalog - Jerry W. McDaniel Guest of Honor, Exhibition "Salon ARTIS 2010", Bucharest, Romania & designer of cover and poster, October 2010. (in Romanian)
- The United States Air Force Art Collection - Jerry McDaniel
- Meridianul Romanesc, No. 565, June 14, 2008, California.
- Sports and Stamps. An Olympic Combination. Arts – Connecticut Time, December 7, 1988.
- The First Picture Show. Arielle Emmet, Graphics Portfolio. Computer Graphics World (CGW), July 1986.
- When Mind and Machine Meet. Advertising Techniques and Graphic Arts, Vol. 21, No. 2, Issue 220, Summer 1986.
- High-tech Images on View in Greenwich. William Zimmer, The New York Times, Sunday, April 13, 1986.
- Computer as Art. Hurlbutt Gallery, Greenwich. Art/Theater/The Lively Arts, Connecticut Magazine, p. 54, April 1986.
- The Armed Forces of the United States as Seen by Contemporary Artists (Smithsonian Publication 4730), Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1968
- Ostermann, Robert (1967-09-21), The Illustrators and Their Lively Art, The National Observer , The National Observer, Washington, DC, 1967.