Krzysztof Kieślowski Film School, 1999, 2004
„I set up a camera and I take a picture. Alone, again. In this work there is only me and my imaginative vision of the role, which I am going to play. I tried to act in a way, which will refer to the topic of femininity and shame to bring the female body from the shadow, without compromises and away from magazine photoshoped beauty standards.
So, firstly I sat down on a bathroom floor and in a mini performance I started to peel the beetroots… That’s how one of my first pictures was taken.
I was playing roles I might even like, and the final result was sometimes almost heart breaking, but talking about femininity and shame I need to break through my own.
My pictures are more like a movie set: they are surreal interpretation of reality, so it always leaves me lonely and uncertain, before I share my vision with the audience.
Sometimes my works seems to become grotesque, ironic and colourful illustration, but behind every role there is me, confronting with my own, and I hope - social or cultural cliché”.
Aneta Nowicka, born in 1980 Poland in a town full of coal – mines in Silesia. Having no artistic traditions within her family and living in Easter European conservatism determined her to break the boundaries in her works.
She graduated Krzysztof Kieslowski Film School, post graduated Reportage as well as Photography in Poland. Aneta got AIR grants from Vermont Studio Center, USA, Baer Art Center, IS, John Snow House, CA & Fundacion Valparaiso, ES.
Her works had been shown in London, New York and she is waiting for an exhibition in Berlin.
Born in 1980. Poland
- 2007 – 2009 - European School of Photography, Warsaw, Poland
- 2007 – Photojournalism, London College of Communication, UK
- 2005- 2007 - Diploma for The Social Aspect of Women Working in The Coal Mines under Tadeusz Rolke (photojournalist) and World Press Photo winner Maciej Skawinski, Laboratory of Reportage, Warsaw University, Poland
- 2004-2005 - Journalism and Media Studies, Vienna
- 1999- 2004 - MA: Film Production at the Krzysztof Kieslowski, Film School, University of Silesia
Exhibition in Poland - Warsaw Gallery 81 Degrees, 23'rd of August 2014
Exhibition in Germany - Berlin: 27'th of September, Gallery "Alles Moegliche"
SELECTED SOLO SHOWS
- A body for a show: body-blog.com, Two Moon Art and Gallery House, NY, USA 2013
- My body for a show: Body-blog.com, John Snow House by the New Gallery, Calgary, Canada 2012
- Naked, 5-10-15, Warsaw, Poland, 2010
- Bulletproof , Chwałowice Cultural Center, Rybnik, Poland, 2010
- Women in the Coal Mines, Watch Docs Film Festival, Wodzisław Śląski, Poland, 2010
- In the Country of the Crouching Tiger, Ruda Śląska, Poland, 2010
- Bulletproof , Rotunda Gallery, Bytom, Poland, 2010
- In the Country of the Crouching Tiger, Main Library, Katowice, Poland, 2009
- Untitled, Galeria na Antresoli, Łaziska Górne, Poland 2009
- Group exhibition at Galway Art Festival in Ireland, July 2014
- I still walk with you, Baer Art Center, Hofdastrond, Iceland 2012
- Portraits, Art Café, London, UK 2007
- Vermont Studio Center – in Residence Artist’s Grant, Vermont, USA, 2013
- Camac, Artist – in – Residence Artist’s Grant, Marnay sur Seine, France, 2012
- Al Mahatta Artist – in – Residence Artist’s Grant, Palestine, 2012
- Baer Art Center Artist-in-Residence Artist’s Grant, Hofdastrond, IS, 2012
- John Snow House Artist-in-Residence Artist’s Grant, Calgary, Canada, 2012
- Fundacion Valparaiso Artist-in-Residence Artist’s Grant, Fundacion Valparaiso, Santiago, Spain, 2011
- Aneta Nowicka’s Portfolio: from Reportage to Surrealism. Photography, Performance, Visual Media. Guest Lecture, Warsaw Film School. Warsaw April 2012
- Aneta Nowicka and her Inspirations, Guest Lecture,Warsaw School of Photography, Warsaw March 2012
- Women in the Coal Mines, Maciej Skawinski, Watch Docs Film Festival leaflet, 2009
- In the Country of the Crouching Tiger. Aneta Nowicka’s photo exbhibition, Editor’s Note,Cyfrografia, 2009
- Aneta Nowicka – A Crouching Tiger, Editor’s Note, artinfo.pl ( Poland’s leading portal on art ), 2009
- Aneta Nowicka, Editor’s Note, Wirtualna Polska ( wp.pl ) News on Culture, 2008
- Master’s Cycle - Portfolio. Aneta Nowicka., Kazimierz M.Serwin, Fotografia i Aparaty Cyfrowe, 2008
- In the Country of the Crouching Tiger, Editor’s Note,Podroze, 2006
- Bulletproof in Rybnik, Editor’s Note, Olzanet.pl, 2006
- A Spectacle of Conformism, Joanna Mytkowska, Gazeta Wyborcza, 2005
- All That Art World, Magdalena Lukaszewicz, Stach Szablowski, Newsweek Polska, 2005
- 2011 – Jastrzebie – Zdrój, A book published by a city council
- 2005 - Repetition – A book published by Zacheta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw, Poland (film stills for Artur Zmijewski’s Repetition)