Sonia E Barrett
St Andrews University, 2000, Mlit
Of German Jamaican Parentage brought up in England, China and Cyprus Sonia Elizabeth Barrett has an international range of cultural influences. A graduate of St Andrews University where she studied Philosophy, Literature and International Relations and the Transart Institute (MFA) she has an unusual grounding in the concepts to which she offers her unique visual response.
SelectedAwards and Bursaries
2014 Leon Levy Foundation grant recipient.
2013 Emergency Craft Award Finalist, Aspex Gallery, Plymouth England.
2013 Shortlisted for Neo Art Prize, Bolton England.
2012 Selected as a winner of the Premio-Ora Contemporary Art Prize, Italy
2012 Selected as Artslant award winner for the showcase for Sculpture, NY, USA
2009 Scholarship for MFA Arts program at the Transart Institute Krems, Austria
1989 Bursary to attend the Royal St. Catherine’s Conference of Commonwealth Arts Windsor, England
Selected Exhibitions and Residencies
• Berlin Collective On Site in 16 Cities, Cheri, 231 Lenox Ave, Harlem, New York
• NN KünstPreis Sonderausstellung, Kunsthaus Nürnberg, KunstKultur Quatier, Germany.
• Schlachten Displaced Mendelsohnhalle, Brandenburg, Germany.
• The Format Follow The Format -Contemporary Culture Gallery, Milan, Italy,
• Selected for the MacDowell Colony Residency, New Hampshire,USA Nov/Dec
• TIAF The Independent Artists Fair (not for profit artists coop) London 15th -18th Oct
• Home Orange County Centre for Contemporary Art, OCCCA,California, USA
• Vietnamese American Arts & Letters Association (VAALA) , USA
• The Grass Grows The Format Gallery with ArtLab Gallery & Glenda Cinquegrana, Basel Switzerland, during Art Basel.
• Amy-d arte spazio, Ghoramara of Deasung Lee the Desktop Garden Group Milan, Italy
• The Secret Gardens Fabbrica del Vapore, Artist intervention Milan Design Week, Italy.
• Resistance and Longing, CIAT- Contemporary Institute for Art & Thought, Berlin, Germany.
• Emergency Craft Show, Aspex Gallery, Plymouth, England.
• London Calling, Factory Art Gallery, 4 Wilkes Street, London,England.
• Reloaded, Factory Art Gallery, Momsen Strasse 27, Berlin, Germany.
• Solo Show: Otherings sea/home Magazzini dell'Arte Contemporanea, Trapani, Italy.
• Nutrimenti Trapani Biennale, Museum of the Sea, Tor de Ligny, Trapani, Italy.
• Unlucky, Berlin Collective, Online show, Berlin , Germany.
• Precursor, Catalyst Arts Center, Belfast, Ireland.
• The Story of the Creative Angel Orensanz Gallery, Long Island City, New York, USA
• Selected to complete the “Keywords” project with INIVA and Tate Liverpool , England
• Critique leader for European students of Transart Institute
• Coiled Potentials Trampoline pres.: Transart Institute MFA Exhibition, Atelierhof, Berlin
• Home and Away Caribbean Art project and 4Hr Nap Collective, WOMA ,Grenada, WI
• Berlin Collective workshop with John Von Bergen, Berlin
• Film collaboration with Rex Films
• Video Workshop Art Institute New York with N.Cohen Jan 2012
• Nothing to Declare Blanc compound Manila, Philippines
• Residency, Like the Spice Gallery Transart Institute, New York,
• NGBK, (Neue Gesellschaft für Bildende Kunst) Berlin, Germany,
• Snap to Grid Los Angeles Center for Digital Art ,LA
• Art in the Open Rosenwald Wolf Gallery, Philadelphia
• Art in the Open, Installation in the Sauchall Park Philadelphia
• Group Residency Dia Beacon, New York
• Winter Residency, Sideshow Gallery Transart Institute, New York
• Open Space Projekt: Zwischenraum für Kunst & Migration, Heinrich Böll Institute, Berlin Germany.
• Summer Residency Tanzfabrik Berlin, Transart Institute 2009
• Black Fine Arts Fair, 2008, 2009 New York
• The Kalahari Building, Harlem, New York, USA.
• The International Black Art Expo 2007, Philadelphia, USA
• The International Black Art Expo 2007, Philadelphia, USA2005
• Postcards from the Edge Robert Miller Gallery, New York, USA
• Expo 2000, World Exposition “Three British Artists” Hanover, German
Part of "Daima" Images of Women of Color in Germany by Nzitu Mawakha Series: Witnessed, 2013
Chapter published in "The Little Book of Big Visions. How to be an Artist and Revolutionize the World" edited by Sandrine Micossé-Aikins and Sharon Dodua Otoo 2012
Work in International Review of African American Art innovation ed. 2011 vol.23
Work featured "Interkultur" Newspaper Berlin Jul/Aug 2010
Work featured "Black History 365" Journal, 2009.
Work featured in "Paint" Magazine Philadelphia, 2008
Before working as a visual artist I worked with black opera companies, dance companies, and cinema festivals that time afforded me a deep and exciting view into urban cultural creation by ethnic minorities in London. I am now living and working in Germany.
Education and Related Experience
MFA Studio Practice Transart Institute Berlin/New York
Degree English Literature, St Andrews University, Scotland
Dissertation Poetry and Art in Caribbean Culture
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.