I am a California native and a long time Santa Cruz resident. I have been working in Santa Cruz California and showing for many years. My recent work is primarily in acrylic and gouache, collage, charcoal and pastel, much of it incoporating electronic images as well. I have also exhibited works in oil, alkyd, silkscreen, intaglio, collage, xerography, assemblage and kinetic light boxes.
My current work incorporates acrylic transfer of xerography, newspapers, maps, digitally modified images, digital printing, drawings, pastels, and other objects combined in various ways with acrylic mediums and paints--yet I am also endeavoring to reinvent for myself what it means to paint.
I am attracted to the poetic, the elusive, the non-sequitur. I am attracted to things that can't easily be put into words. I am attracted to things that cannot be made into images of known things that can easily be put into words.
For me abstraction is not only a means of removing things, it is also a means of adding them; it is a way of overloading, of creating multiple layers of meaning and implication.
I dream of energy as both bound and content, form and gesture, drawing and color, surface and depth.
I delight in subverting a line and turning it into a shape, turning a shape into an outline, and playing in the shifting in-between world where no one thing is purely one thing or unequivocally in front of another, seeking just that flow of endless energy.
If it is sometimes hard to tell where the painted brushstoke begins and the digital manipulation ends, all the better. The image sources may be the gesture of my hand, poured and peeled paint, digital distortions of other paintings, fabrics, fractal generator programs and found objects, or made by moving the images through a scanner, but there they are again, form and gesture, color and line, always new.
- Santa Cruz Watercolor Society Show, "Best of the Central Coast", Santa Cruz CA, March 2008
- One Man Show, "Joyous Convulsions", Firefly, Santa Cruz CA, November 2008
- Santa Cruz Art League, "Local Essence", Santa Cruz CA, April 2009
- Santa Cruz Art League, "Luck of the Draw", Santa Cruz CA, December 2008
- One Man Show, "The Waves", Mr. Toots, Capitola CA, May 2009
- Santa Cruz Art League, Juried Show, "National Drawing and Sculpture", Santa Cruz CA, December 2009
- One Man Show, “Recent Works”, Sockshop and Shoe Company, Santa Cruz CA, January 2010
- One Man Show, “Stroke of Luck”, Louden Nelson Center, Santa Cruz CA, February 2010
- Santa Cruz Art League, "Local Essence", Santa Cruz CA, February 2010
- Santa Cruz Watercolor Society Show, "Best of the Central Coast", Santa Cruz CA, March 2010
- One Man Show, Santa Cruz Office of Education, Santa Cruz CA, May-July 2010
- One Man Show, Santa Cruz Library, Santa Cruz CA, May-June 2010
- Santa Cruz Art League, Juried Show, “Transference of Light”, Santa Cruz CA, July 2010
- International Association of Acrylic Painters, Juried Show, Santa Cruz CA, August 2010
- Santa Cruz County Fair, Visual Arts Pavilion, Watsonville CA September 2010
- Luck of the Draw Group Show Santa Cruz Art League, Santa Cruz CA November 2011
- This is Santa Cruz Group Show Santa Cruz Art League December2010 -January 2011
- Recent Paintings One Man Show Santa Cruz Art League Lobby February -March 2011
- Local Essence Group Show Sant Cruz Art League February -March 2011
- Abstract Juried Sebastopol Center for the Arts, Sebastopol CA March -April, 2011
- Undulations One Man Show Swirl, Santa Cruz CA May -July 2011
- ISAP Invitational Exhibition for Signature Members Invitational Paso Robles September-October 2011