"Art is my dance with the universe."
inspired by: natural science, quantum physics, anthropology, music of Bach, writtings of Rilke, and more
studio: Rockland, Maine
2-D Art Works [2010...]
Landscape-Mappings with Botanical Hybrids, Moth Orchids & Seed Pods (2013- )
These works are conceived in the tradition of the dream-time paintings from the ancient aboriginal peoples of Australia.
My landscape-mappings are about migrations, solar induced seasonal rhythms, and ocean tides.
In my studio on the coast of Maine, I am thinking about the vast cyclical migrations of whales, monarch butterflies, and birds.
I am aware of my own circadian clock, the rotations of star constellations, phases of the moon, and the earth's song lines.
Like a great symphony or a shaken snow globe, all of this living matter is ever swirling,
settling only momentarily in brief balance-ings to be earth's breathing.
My first collaged, painted & gold leafed, "Landscapes of the Mind" where influenced by...
The Lakota, who believe that a spiritual landscape exists within the physical one; the Navajo believe each landscape has its own sacred order.
Scottish architect, designer & watercolorist, Charles Mackintosh,
the writtings of Michael Pollan (Botany of Desire) and Barry Lopez (Arctic Dreams).
Figurative Bronze Sculpture [1986...]
My sculptures of avian-humans, are beings which I intuit.
They are sometimes manifestations of the femine archetype.
They may be animal, angels or Buddhist Bodhisattvas.
But, like the interpretations of Rilke in his Duino Elegies, I see these creatures exsisting in liminal spaces ~
as Wordsworth said,... [devine] “spaces of being”.
With MFA training in classical figurative scultpture, I trace my artistic lineage
from the ancient Egyptians to the Archaic Greeks,
to Michelangelo; then on to Rodin, Maillol and Marini....
- Cooley Gallery, Old Lyme Ct. 2010-2012 (bronze sculpture)
- New Britian Museum of Ameircan Art, Ct. annual juried members show:
- 2008 winner of sculpture prize: "Prospero's Book of Air" ~ a flying figure
- 2012 sculpture "Scottish Nike" small bronze
- 2013 painting,"Higgs Boson Particle" ~ large painting (77"h x 44"w)
- Polonaise Gallery, Woodstock Vt. 2001-08
- Alla Rogers Gallery, Washington, DC 1990-98
- City Gallery, Artist Co-operative and founding member, Washington,DC 1989-91
- Dumbarton Oaks Washington, DC 1990
- Ipomal Gallery, Landgraff, Netherlands 1991 (one person show)
- Neyagawa, Osaka, Japan 1988 (by invitation, group show)
- Muscarrelle Museum, faculty show W&M, Williamsburg, Va. 188
- Numerous local exhibits annually...2011, 2013, 2015, 2016
select teaching experience:
- Farmington Ct. Public Schools, (K-12) 2001-
- Miss Porter's School, Ct. 1998-99
- Sidwell Friends School, Wash. DC 1991-98
- American University, Wash. DC (adjunct prof.) 1987-98
- College of William & Mary , Williamsburgh, Va. (full time) 1987-89
- Additionally: public & private schools; museums, art centers, & private lessons....
- Trained in: Reggio Emilia, Arts PROPEL, Understanding by Design
- MFA from American University, in Sculpture with Honors, 1986
- National Sculpture Society Young Sculptor Award & Scholarship;
- Graduate Honors Scholarship, and the Watkins Gallery Purchase Prize
- BS from American University, Art Education, 1981
- AA from Endicott College, Early Child Developement
- Endicott Fellow Award, 1977