Sandrine Hermand Grisel
Personal summary Born and raised in Paris France, Sandrine Hermand-Grisel fell in love with photography at an early age but it was only after obtaining a degree in International Law that she decided to dedicate her life to her real passion. Influenced by her late mother's sculptures and her husbands paintings and films, she worked on several personal projects before her series Nocturnes was recognized in 2005 by Harry Gruyaert, Bertrand Despres and John Batho for the Prix Kodak de la Critique Photographique. In the footsteps of her grand father who was a filmmaker in the US Army during WWII, she moved with her family to the United States in 2006 and began experimenting landscape photography with her series Somewhere and On the road. In 2013, she created the acclaimed website All About Photo and now spends most of her time discovering new talents while still working on personal projects.
- 2017 - 3rd Open Call Juried Photography Exhibition PCPA.
- 2016 - 9th Artslant Prize Showcase Winner in Photography.
- 2016 - Finalist ''Trees'' A Smith Gallery.
- 2016 - 9th International Color Awards- Honorable Mention - Fine Art.
- 2015 - PX3 2015 - Honorable Mention - Fine Art.
- 2015 - SEE ME - Fith Annual Exposure Award.
- 2015 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2012 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2012 - 3rd Artslant Showcase Winner.
- 2010 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2010 - Call for Exhibition SFAC PhotoAlliance Night/Light.
- 2009 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2008 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2008 - 1st place Vis à Vis international.
- 2007 - Rencontres Leica Espace Commines.
- 2006 - 3rd place Leica Les Indépendances.
- 2005 - Prix Kodak de la Critique Photographique.
- 2001 - 2nd place Open Amateur Photography Contest of The International Library of Photography.
- 2000 - 5th place Fédération photographique de France.
- 2000 - Volvic ''Woman,Woman,Woman''.
- 2000 - Réponses Photo 2nd place ''Vos photos à la une''.
- 2000 - 1st place Prix Arc images.
- 1999 - Bourse du Talent Picto-Kodak.
- 1997 - Prix Ilford du Jury.
- 1997 - Réponses Photo 1st place ''Vos photos à la une''.
- 1997 - Honorary Mention10th Concours International de la Photographie pour la Jeunesse.
- 2017 - Los Angeles Center of Photography, CA.
- 2017 - Providence Center for Photographic Arts, RI.
- 2017 - A Smith Gallery, Jonhson City, TX.
- 2016 - Summer Show, Rayko Photo Center, San Francisco, CA.
- 2016 - Solo Exhibition ''On the road'' Galerie Garby's, Paris 6.
- 2015 - SeeMe Digital Exhibition at the Musée du Louvre, Paris 8.
- 2015 - Fotofever, Carrousel du Louvre, Paris.
- 2015 - Solo Exhibition ''Somewhere'' Galerie Garby's, Paris 6.
- 2013 - Fotofever Photography Art Fair, Paris.
- 2012 - Fotofever Photography Art Fair, Brussels.
- 2011 - Limited Edition Square, Paris X.
- 2011 - Galerie de la Croix, La croix Valmer.
- 2010 - Le Pavé d'Orsay, Paris VII.
- 2010 - City Hall, SFAC Galleries, San Francisco, CA.
- 2010 - Viewpoint Gallery, Sacramento, CA.
- 2009 - Arles, France.
- 2009 - Centro, San Francisco
- 2009 - Contemporay photography Night, Paris VI.
- 2009 - Rayko Photo Center, San Francisco, CA.
- 2009 - Europ'art'09, Genève.
- 2008 - Arles, France.
- 2008 - Bateau Daphné, Paris V.
- 2008 - Contemporay photography Night, Paris VI.
- 2008 - Centre Iris, Paris III.
- 2008 - Red Union, San Francisco.
- 2007 - Rencontres Leica, Espace Commines Paris III.
- 2006 - Salon des Indépendances, Enghien les bains. (Festival)
- 2005 - Mairie du 9ème arrondissement ''Résolument 9'', Paris
- 2000 - Picto Bastille, Paris.
- 2000 - Culturel Center of Volvic.
- 2000 - Espace Bontemps, Gardanne.
- 1998 - Espace Nesle Paris VI (Mois Bis de la Photo).
- 1997 - Maison de la Culture au Luxembourg (FIAP).
- 1997 - Prix du Jury Ilford, touring exhibition in France.
The Woven Tale 2017, Die Angst Magazine 2017, Mowwgli 2017, Monthly Photography 2017, Silvershotz Magazine 2017, Lenscratch 2017, L'oeil de la photographie 2017, Corridor Elephant 2017, MyDailyPhotograph - Duncan Miller Gallery 2016, Lensculture 2016, C41 Magazine 2016, Artist Portfolio Magazine 2016, Private Magazine 2016, Square Magazine 2016, Positive Magazine 2016, The Artbo 2016, L'oeil de la photographie 2016, World Photography Network 2015, Lost in SF 2013, Artslant 2012, ArtBusiness 2009, Be-Art Magazine 2009, Mini Nude Bible (Book) 2008, Kodak Magazine 2006, Le Photographe Magazine 2006, Reponses Photo Magazine 2005, ELLE Magazine 2002, Photo et Video Numerique Magazine 2000, Réponses Photo Magazine 2000, Réponses Photo Magazine 1998, Ilford Magazine 1998, Photographie.com 1999, Reponses Photo Magazine 1997.
Member of the Jury / Curator:
- 2018 - All About Photo Awards 2018, The Mind's Eye.
- 2018 - PhotoAlliance Portfolio Reviews.
- 2017 - A Smith Gallery: Juror for the Call for entry ''Summertime''.
- 2017 - Darkroom Gallery: Juror for the Call for entry ''Le Paysage''.
- 2017 - L.A. Photo Curator: Curator for the show ''Texture''.
- 2017 - 10th Annual International Plastic Camera Show.
Member of the jury with Ann Jastrab: Gallery Director RayKo Photo Center, Photographer & Educator.
- 2017 - All About Photo Awards 2017, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with Beatrice Chassepot: Founder & Editor be-Art magazine.
Julien Chatelin: Photographer & All About Photo Photographer of the Year 2016; James Dooley: Executive Administrator Alexia Foundation, Former Director of Photography, Newsday, former assistant photo editor, The Los Angeles Times; Susan Dooley: Photographer, Educator & Curator; Eileen Gittins: Founder and Executive Chairman of Blurb; Ann Jastrab: Gallery Director RayKo Photo Center, Photographer & Educator; Aline Smithson: Photographer, Founder & Editor Lenscratch; Judy Walgren: Pulitzer Prize Winner, Photographer, Founder & Editor ViewFind; Sabine Weiss: Photographer.
- 2016 - The Young Photographer Award. Member of the jury with: Isabelle Mesnil Gallerist, Barbara Davidson Photo journalist, Ken Gonzales-Day Photographer, Beatrice Chassepot, Art Critic.
- 2016 - All About Photo Awards 2016, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with: Julia Fullerton-Batten: Photographer; Frank Horvat: Photographer; Ann Jastrab: Gallery Director RayKo Photo Center; Ed Kashi: Photojournalist, Filmmaker and Educator VII Photo Agency; Jules Maeght: Founder and Gallery Director Jules Maeght; Klavdij Sluban: Photographer & Educator; Keiichi Tahara: Photographer, Sculptor and Painter of Light; Cara Weston: Photographer & Curator.
- 2013 - ongoing - All About Photo Editor & Curator
- 2017 - Sea Sketches
- 2012 - Waterlilies, Blurb
- 2009 - Somewhere, Blurb
- 2007 - Nudes, Blurb
- 2007 - Nude Bible, Tectum Publishing
About the series Somewhere showcased at City Hall in San Francisco SFAC Galleries and Rayko Photo Center:
Somewhere… in the United States… As an emigrant, I am not a tourist, nor a total stranger, nor totally at home… 50 states… 3.79 million square miles to travel all over to discover it all. In other words an impossible task!
I decided to choose a glimpse of it… here or there… to proceed by strokes... by sensations… here or there… by impressions…
Los Angeles will remain for me a huge amusement park ride in the shape of a giant bean… Death Valley: ravens dancing on a dried tree… Las Vegas: a few palm trees lost in front of an immaculate blue sky… Unusual, timeless, irrational, my memories of America are not what we expect, not like others… my images are an elusive vision of a country without limits…
Somewhere is my American testimonial… my testimonial from here, nowhere and elsewhere…