FAQ - Entering Exhibits & Events for Artists
To Add Content in ArtSlant, you must be a registered member.
ArtSlant allows all registered users to add exhibits and events to our historical archive and our current Calendars. Using this feature, artists and venues can create a full exhibition history within the ArtSlant network. Our flexible system allows for past, present and future exhibits to be added. Our historical archive of exhibits and events is used by galleries and museums, historians, curators, writers and art professionals, as well as our general audience, for planning and research purposes.
Before you add an Exhibit
- Go to the ArtSlant city in which the exhibition or event will take place (or did take place for past events you want to get into our archive.)
- Hint: Try the closest city (for exmaple go to Los Angeles for events in San Diego). If it is in a country or city not directly covered by our city sites, then use our Worldwide site.
Adding Exhibits/Events and Venues
- Once you are in the correct ArtSlant city, hover over >ADD on the Main Menu. Then click on >add your exhibit.
- You will get the Add Event form, which asks for the title of the show and the venue first. When you input the venue, be careful to look for it on the dropdown so that you don't have to duplicate venues in our system.
- If your venue is new, then click on >Create Venue and fill out the information for your venue.
- At the end of the venue information, you can finish the information for your exhibition listing, starting with the Artist names.
- Hit Save and check the info on your exhibit. If you need to make any changes, go to the CHANGE box on the right side of the page and click on >edit this event to reopen the form and make corrections.
- After finishing your exhibition/event, then you can click on the Venue name to go to the Venue Display and make any additions or changes to the venue listing, such as add an image for the venue, correct the address or neighborhood, or add additional content.
- To make corrections on either the Exhibition or Venue pages, simply click on >edit this event or >edit this venue in the CHANGE box on the far right side of the page.
HINTS FOR BEST ADDING: All exhibitions will immediately post on ArtSlant.
- Title: Enter the title of the exhibit. If there is no title, use the artist's name as the title, or something like Group Show.
- Artist(s): Enter artist names in regular text. Watch the drop down to see if the artists are already in our system.
IMPORTANT: With more than one artist, put commas between names. Do not use "and, with, in collaboration with, etc." In the case of a team, use an & - e.g. Gilbert & George. You may enter up to 25 artist names.
- Ditto with curator(s)
- If you are entering a new Venue, you will be prompted to create the listing for it. PLEASE fill out the address and contact info. If the venue does not have an address, it will be removed from our system.
- Event Type - Choose Ongoing Exhibit (2 or more days) or Event (1 day only)
- Dates: Choose from calendar
- Hours - select if it is an event. Otherwise, leave it blank.
- Opening: Fix date and times. If no opening, click on "remove this opening."
- Description Text: Paste in press release for show or a short description. You may embed jpg images into text box using the icons on the box menu bar.
- Cost: Skip unless there is a specific fee.
- Tags: Select only appropriate tags.
- Image: Browse for an image. We only accept jpg, gif or png files. Images in exhibition listings create higher visibility within the website. Complete the caption information as noted. It is very important to be accurate when listing the information on images.
A Special Request: Please do not add exhibitions to our listings that are at an online gallery or private residence or studio (some exceptions may apply). All exhibitions listed on ArtSlant must be open to the public (if invitation-only please indicate), have viewing hours, start and end date, and a physical address. ArtSlant reserves the right to remove any exhibitions that do not comply with our Terms and Conditions.