The U.S. Mint Louisiana State Museum
New Orleans, LA 70116
The only building in America to have served both as a U.S. and Confederate Mint was built in 1835 during the presidency of Andrew Jackson who had advocated for its establishment in order to help finance development of the nation's western frontier. Renowned architect William Strickland designed the building using the then-popular Greek Revival style. Minting commenced in 1838. In 1861, when Louisiana seceded from the union, state authorities seized the property and transferred it to the Confederate Army. For a short time it was used to mint Confederate currency and to house Confederate troops. This ended when New Orleans was occupied by federal forces. Following the Civil War, during the period of Reconstruction, minting of U.S. coins resumed. Minting operations ceased in 1909 and, for the next 57 years, the Mint served a variety of official purposes. In 1966 the landmark was transferred to the state and in 1981 opened to the public as a State Museum site.
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.