Kunsthalle der Hypo-Kulturstiftung
The »Kunsthalle der Hypo-Kulturstiftung« (the Exhibition Gallery of the Hypo-Cultural Foundation) is the best known and most important entity of the Hypo-Cultural Foundation. This exhibition space on Munich's Theatinerstraße, is located within the busy pedestrian zone in the very city centre.
More than 80 exhibitions have been presented since the opening of the venue in 1985. In 2001, the Kunsthalle moved into new premises within the city block complex called »Fünf Höfe« (the five courtyards), which has been designed by the renowned Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron. The exhibition space of some 1200 square meters (ca. 12900 square feet) is equipped with the latest technical, security, and climate-control requirements.
Peter Ade, the first director of the Kunsthalle, was succeeded in 1999 by Dr. Johann Georg Prince of Hohenzollern, who successfully led the institution until March 2006. Since then, Dr. Christiane Lange has taken on the institution's leadership.
High artistic quality and thematic variety have always been the guiding force in establishing the exhibition program, which has included art dating from 5000 BC up to the present day. Themes addressing a broader cultural context, such as prehistoric or non-European civilizations, have been featured in exhibitions like "Sudan", "Korea, The Ancient Kingdoms", or "The Gold of the Scythians". An interdisciplinary exhibition was first organised in 2005, and dealt with the subject of water. The heart of the exhibition program, however, is based on western art including works by Old Masters ("Madame de Pompadour" or "Frans Hals and Haarlem Painting") and classical modern art, featuring artists like Chagall, Gauguin, Giacometti, Kirchner, Magritte, Munch, or Picasso.
Some of the best visited exhibitions of the past years include "Monet and Modern Art" (237.000 visitors), followed by "Folkwang the First Museum of Modern Art", as well as "Mark Rothko - Retrospective". With an average of more than 300.000 visitors annually, the Kunsthalle has welcomed some 7 million art lovers since its inauguration in 1985.