Gallery 44 Centre for Contemporary Photography
Toronto, ON, Canada
Gallery 44 Centre for Contemporary Photography is a non-profit artist-run centre committed to photography as a multi-faceted and ever-changing art form. Founded in 1979 to establish a supportive environment for the development of photography, Gallery 44's mandate is to provide a context for reflection and dialogue on contemporary photography and its related practices. Gallery 44 offers exhibition and publication opportunities to national and international artists, award-winning education programs, and affordable production facilities for artists. Through its programs, Gallery 44 is engaged in changing conceptions of the photographic image and its modes of production.
Head of Exhibitions and Publications
Major Responsibilities Include:
In consultation with the Exhibition Programming Committee and the Director, the Head of Exhibitions and Publications develops and implements all exhibition related programming including, but not limited to, artists' talks, panel discussions, publications, tours. The Head of Exhibitions and Publications periodically curates and/or writes about exhibitions with the support of the Exhibition Programming Committee.
The Head of Exhibitions and Publications assists in the promotion of the exhibition program, implementing marketing plans, producing press materials, overseeing the production of promotional materials and updating the website.
The Head of Exhibitions and Publications coordinates calls, submissions, and submission reviews, assists with grant-writing by preparing information specific to exhibition programs, liaises with artists, prepares contracts and the exhibitions and publications budget, coordinates shipping and oversees exhibition installation. The Head of Exhibitions and Publications trains interns to assist in administrative tasks.
Assists in day-to-day office duties such as answering telephone and walk-in inquiries, talking to student groups, reviewing budgets associated with exhibition programming, assisting with mailings, attending staff meetings, and other general office tasks as needed.
• Strong knowledge of contemporary photography (preferably a MA, MFA or equivalent in art history, visual culture, curatorial studies)
• Strong research skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to details
• Strong administrative skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing, editing and oral presentation skills
• Ability to work collectively and independently
• Experience with Mac computer systems including office productivity suites, database software (SUMAC and FileMaker Pro an asset) and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Second language, preferably French
• Publishing experience
• Program development, public relations and communications experience and interest an asset
• Experience in a non-profit art gallery or equivalent
• Artistic or curatorial practice
Salary: Commensurate with experience. This position is a one-year contract, with an option to renew, and carries an expected start date late August or early September 2013. The job entails working 36 hours per week with some evening and weekends.
Applications: Please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and your relevant background, a resume, samples of writing and any other support material you feel is pertinent by Monday June 24th at 5pm via emailjobs[at]gallery44.org
Gallery 44 is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.