PANEL DISCUSSION: MAJESTY of FLESH
SUN 02.02.14 @ 2PM located at DFBRL8R gallery PANEL DISCUSSION on BODY MODIFICATION as part of the MAJESTY of FLESH series
satellite events include:
- VIP reception on THU 01.30.14 @ 8PM located at DFBRL8R ronathey.eventbrite.com
- PANEL on BODY MODIFICATION at DFBRL8R on SUN 02.02.14 @ 2PM - FREE
- ARTIST TALK on TUE 02.04 @ 6PM at SAIC RON ATHEY as part of the VISITING ARTIST PROGRAM at the SCHOOL of the ART INSTITUTE of CHICAGO at SAIC COLUMBUS AUDITORIUM, 280 S. COLUMBUS DRIVE, CHICAGO - FREE
- BOOK SIGNING of his recently released book will immediately follow: PLEADING IN THE BLOOD: THE ART AND PERFORMANCES OF RON ATHEY
advance tickets are strongly recommended and are available by donation at ronathey.eventbrite.com
- $30 donation: single ticket for JAN 31 or FEB 01 available online until JAN 31
- $15 donation: STUDENT rate for single ticket. must show valid student ID at door
- $35 donation: single ticket JAN 31 or FEB 01 at the door on the night/s of the event
- $55 donation: BOTH PERFORMANCES + VIP reception. available until 7PM FRI JAN 30
- $10 donation: VIP RECEPTION THU JAN 30 @8PM @DFBRL8R / $15 at the door
RON ATHEY is an iconic ﬁgure in the development of contemporary art and performance. in his frequently bloody portrayals of life, death, crisis, and fortitude in the time of AIDS, ATHEY calls into question the limits of artistic practice. these limits enable ATHEY to explore key themes including: gender, sexuality, SM and radical sex, queer activism, post-punk and industrial culture, tattooing and body modiﬁcation, ritual, and religion. visit RON’S blog
JON JOHN is a FRENCH artist working with video, photography, installation and most notably performance. JOHN utilizes the body; ﬂesh, skin and blood as a vehicle for expression. his performances are famous for provoking, enlightening and moving its audience. love, life and loss are combined with a veneration of ancient rituals to communicate his everyday life. JON JOHN'S work is based on ritualistic acts, going through various civilizations, cultures, religions, eras and aesthetics. using ancient procedures and rites, merging them with his contemporary vision, JON JOHN shows us something very unique. his performances result in physical live acts mixed with eroticism, mysticism, poetic sensibility and emotions.
SAGE CHARLES is an artist and musician based in LONDON, ENGLAND. he has performed with ATHEY in “INCORRUPTIBLE FLESH: MESSIANIC REMAINS” at STANFORD UNIVERSITY and HUMAN RESOURCES in CALIFORNIA, and at A.A. BRONSON'S “RITUAL OF QUEER RITUALS” event at WITT DE WITHE GALLERY in ROTTERDAM, NL in 2013.
he has recorded, written and performed as a drummer with various black metal bands for over 7 years. he is a published poet and has performed solo readings across LONDON and LOS ANGELES' ANTEBELLUM GALLERY.
MAJESTY OF FLESH is a series of exhibitions and discussions initiated by DEFIBRILLATOR to examine extreme uses of the body as site, research, and practice. through this project we aim to build appreciation and awareness regarding the underrepresented genre of body modiﬁcation within time-based art. SUKA OFF (POLAND) kicked off the series in OCTOBER 2013 and ROCÍO BOLIVER (MEXICO) will complete the series in MARCH 2014.
this project is partially supported by THE SCHOOL of the ART INSTITUTE of CHICAGO'S VISITING ARTISTS PROGRAM and DEPARTMENT of PERFORMANCE. additional support by HOOK TORTURE GALLERY. DEFIBRILLATOR is partially supported by grants by the GAYLORD and DOROTHY DONNELLEY FOUNDATION, the ILLINOIS ARTS COUNCIL AGENCY, and CHICAGO DEPARTMENT of CULTURAL AFFAIRS and SPECIAL EVENTS.