Visionaries: The Legacy of the Mississippi Art Association
The Mississippi Art Association (1911–1977), parent organization to the Mississippi Museum of Art, was founded by Bessie Cary Lemly and a small group of artists and members of Jackson’s Art Study Club. By the 1930s and 1940s, the organization had taken root in the community and thrived through local support and the dedication and hard work of its members, offering an array of exhibitions, competitions, classes, and lectures. This exhibition presents the history of the Association and celebrates the decade during which William Hollingsworth played a key role in its success. Relevant works include: the first acquisition to the permanent collection—William P. Silva’s The Shower; a David Fredenthal watercolor secured for the collection by Hollingsworth—the only acqusition in 1943; a medallion featuring the Association logo that was designed by Ellsworth Woodward; and a pastel completed by Lemly herself. Other artists represented include Caroline Compton, William Hollingsworth, Marie Hull, Helen Jay Lotterhos, Eudora Welty, and Karl Wolfe, and others. Free to the public.