3089 JB Rotterdam
The Submarine Wharf is part of the former terrain of the Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij (RDM) at Heijplaat. The RDM complex is a pearl in the harbour. This piece of early twentieth-century industrial heritage is currently being redeveloped with a focus on education, innovative companies and culture.
The former RDM submarine Wharf was erected by the RDM in various periods prior to World War II. The middle shed dates back to 1929, and the lower, narrow shed on its eastern side was added in 1936/1938, followed by the longest, most westerly shed in 1939.
The Submarine Wharf was, in fact, covered slipways. The facades were virtually closed in connection with their original function (military shipbuilding) and only have horizontal window beams with steel profiles high in the facade.
After becoming redundant for shipbuilding, the sheds were used for years for storage and repairs. In connection with the new function, as exhibition space, the floors of the slipways/slopes were levelled. During this period, the two oldest sheds were separated into various compartments by means of dividing walls.
The re-use of the Submarine Wharf is one of the Port Authoriy’s initiatives to bring a broad public into contact with the harbour. The port is not only a place for industry and the transfer of goods, but has many other faces.
The website will be permanently closed shortly, so please retrieve any content you wish to save.