The Crocker Art Museum was the first art museum in the Western U.S. and is now one of the leading art museums in California. Established in 1885, the Museum features one of the country’s finest collections of Californian art, exceptional holdings of master drawings, a comprehensive collection of international ceramics, as well as European, Asian, African, and Oceanic art. The centerpiece of the Museum is the gallery building. Completed in 1872, it retains its original Victorian-Italianate design. The gallery building’s interior is elaborately decorated with ornate painting and carved woods. To the west of the gallery building is the Teel Family Pavilion, a 125,000 square-foot modernist addition to the Museum. Added in 2010, the Teel Family Pavilion was designed by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects.