History of the Arts & Crafts Cooperative, Inc.
The Arts & Crafts Cooperative, Incorporated (ACCI) was started by a small group of artists and craftsmen in the mid-1950s and was incorporated in 1959. Originally, sales of arts and crafts were held once or twice a year in the University Avenue Coop meeting room. But in 1960, the Shattuck Avenue Cooperative opened and ACCI moved into a nearby building at 1652 Shattuck, a building we still occupy, and, as of 1976, own. It is located in the heart of North Berkeley surrounded by world-renowned restaurants and high-end shops.
The handsome brick building, formerly a French laundry, has been extensively remodeled and renovated over the years to provide a functional, well-lighted space for displaying a wide range of work by member artists, including ceramics, glass, jewelry, photography, textiles, sculpture, paintings and other fine art. We have continued to attract first-rate member artists, and the clientele has come to look upon ACCI as a place to find fresh, unusual, distinctive work of the highest quality.
Originally an all-volunteer organization, ACCI now has a paid staff that includes a gallery director, assistant to the director, and several part-time sales and display staff. We still could not do what we do without the thousands of volunteer hours that have been put in by hundreds of artist members and community members over the years.
In joining ACCI, you become a member of the oldest arts and crafts cooperative west of the Mississippi.
Mission of Cooperative
The aim of the Coop is to offer the public a broad range of Fine Art and Crafts of top quality and originality at attractive prices. We provide our membership base with a retail outlet, for work which ranges from Ceramics and Jewelry, Paintings, Photography, Sculpture, works in Wood, Glass and Metal. We seek to create a sympathetic environment for exploration of the Arts both for members and the community at large.