"The Andrew Freedman Home, one of the most impressive edifices built in The Bronx during the first decades of the twentieth century, was erected in 1922-24 as a result of a generous bequest in the will of Andrew Freedman" a native New Yorker who was a key player in the construction of the IRT, Broadway Theaters and the Giants league (Landsmarks Preservation Commission, 1992).
The Andrew Freedman Home was built to be a haven, a paradise, for the rich elderly who had once been in good circumstances but had suffered a reversal of fortune. Bequeathed by the self-made millionaire Andrew Freedman, the Home provided its "guests" all the accoutrements of a rich and civilized life style - white glove dinner service, a grand ball room, a wood-paneled library, a billiard room and a social committee which organized concerts, opera performances and the like.
After 30 years of standing vacant, the Home will now be reconnected to the neighborhood and open to the public for the first time through No Longer Empty's exhibition, This Side of Paradise on April 4, 2012. Visitors to the exhibition will deepen their understanding of the Home's past as well as the present day realities of the Bronx and its residents.