HACIA AFUERA PRESENTS: EAST HARLEM FILM COMPETITION
Youth & Young Adults: Showcase your videos at Hacia Afuera Public Arts Festival August 13-14, 2011 in East Harlem's outdoor public spaces hosted by Art for Change!
WHO: Youth ages 15-18 & Young Adults ages 19-24
WHAT: Create short videos & films up to 6 minutes. Use a camcorder, your phone, or anything with a video camera with 5.0 MP or higher for our competition
WHEN: Submit application & completed videos by JULY 18th
WHERE: show YOUR videos at Hacia Afuera in East Harlem
Check out our promotional video: http://www.youtube.com/user/FilmHaciaAfuera
The Youth & Young Adults Film Fest, which will screen short films & videos. This competition presents a great opportunity to use your creativity to share your art to a live audience. If selected, you will become a finalist and compete for Best Film. You do not need to be a professional! Use your phone cameras, camcorders, anything you have at your hands!
How to Compete:
• There is a competition for youth 15-18 and another for young adults ages 19-24 to participate & we will have winners for both groups
• You can submit videos as a collaboration between several people, as part of a club or organization, or by yourself
• Utilize anything you have to create your video! it will be great as long as you have 5.0 MP and access to computer to edit (check out your local library)
• Videos can be from 30 seconds to 6 minutes long
• BE CREATIVE! Your videos should tell us about you and what is important to you. They should be unique and different. The best will inspire viewers to ask questions and challenge people to become active in social change.
• You can compete in any of the following three categories:
- Generation GREEN: Today we hear “green” everywhere and we want to hear what green means to you. This theme looks at the environment, conservation & sustainability. Why is it important & what needs to be done?
- Me, Myself & Who You Don’t Know: We want to breakdown the stereotypes about youth and young adults in the media. Tell us about yourself and how you fit into your community. What defines you and makes you an individual?
- A Walk Through East Harlem:We want to see East Harlem through your eyes. Tell us about what is important in your life about your experience in this neighborhood and community. What are the great things, the bad things, and what has changed? You do not have to live in East Harlem in order to compete!
To compete, submit your application to Film.HaciaAfurea@gmail.com. Make sure that the application is complete. Attach your video and include a link if you have it uploaded online. If you are under the age of 18 you will also need to submit a parental consent form.
Applications & completed videos are due by JULY 18th!!!
We will be unable to review late submissions. Email us if you have any questions. We will chose the videos that are different, creative and inspire social justice.