This is a union position subject to the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement. This position is located in Los Altos, CA.
From July2013 through early 2016, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is embarking upon an ambitious schedule of exhibitions and public programs throughout the Greater Bay Area while the museum's building in downtown San Francisco undergoes a major expansion. As part of this program the museum is bringing national and international artists to the Silicon Valley community of Los Altos in a unique multisite exhibition occupying both indoor and outdoor locations throughout the downtown Los Altos area.
Under the supervision of the Project Los Altos Visitor and Member Services Supervisor, the Project Los Altos Gallery Assistant acts as the museum's representative, performing a multitude of roles including welcoming visitors to this unique multi-site art exhibition; informing visitors about the exhibition, SFMOMA, and the City of Los Altos; selling and renewing SFMOMA Memberships, and creating a welcoming and professional environment to encounter contemporary art.
- Represents SFMOMA and the City of Los Altos by providing information on SFMOMA, Los Altos, the Project Los Altos exhibition, the museum's expansion plans and interim off-site programs, and the museum's membership program.
- Assists exhibition visitors in an informative and friendly manner.
- Use an iPad-based RSVP system to check-in and orient groups, visitors, members and school groups, and assists with reservations for future visits. Actively promotes and sells SFMOMA memberships, and informs visitors about SFMOMA's "On the Go" programs and activities.
- Conducts efficient day-to-day operations and collections and track attendance.
- Provides for the safety of visitors and of the premises during exhibition public hours; assists with evacuation during emergencies; reports problems, suspicious activities and safety hazards to the Project Los Altos Visitor and Member Services Supervisor; monitors the flow of visitors in the galleries and reports any incidents involving visitors touching or damaging artwork.
- Answers visitor questions related to the local neighborhood and provides directions to nearby restaurants, restrooms, galleries, and other points of interest.
- Maintains SFMOMA collateral, turns video installations on and off, assists with daily inflatable installations, and posts signs as requested.
- Responds to all visitor issues, concerns and complaints in a friendly, calm, and accommodating manner.
- Attends training sessions and curator walkthroughs as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Training: An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience.
Work Experience: Minimum two years in sales and customer service. Familiarity with museum or gallery operations and/or museum membership programs and customer services is preferred. Bi- or multi- lingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge of, or interest in, visual art, in particular modern and contemporary art.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills. Energetic, positive, engaging and approachable demeanor.
- Ability to work collaboratively with SFMOMA colleagues and the public.
- Demonstrated accuracy and ability to concentrate on details.
- Demonstrated punctuality and dependability.
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize work.
- Experience using, standard office equipment, and Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Physical Demands: Ability to work with a tablet-based touchscreen reservation system. Must be able to sit for extended periods of time. Must be able to move between all 4-6 exhibition locations. Must be able to project verbally in crowded environments.
Special Environmental Factors: Public environment, around potential crowds.
POSITION: Project Los Altos Gallery Assistant
DEPARTMENTS: Visitor Services and Membership
SUPERVISOR: Project Los Altos Visitor and Member Services Supervisor
SCHEDULE: Part-time. Schedules vary, November 8, 2013 - March 2, 2014, Wednesday - Sunday with some evenings. PROJECT LOS ALTOS WILL BE OPEN ALL DAYS EXCEPT THANKSGIVING DAY, CHRISTMAS DAY, NEW YEARS DAY.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art encourages people of color, residents of SOMA, and other San Francisco residents to apply. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
For more information please visit: http://sfmoma.snaphire.com/jobdetails/ajid/cWM38/Project-Los-Altos-Gallery-Assistant-Temporary,15199.html