Cause of Insanity!
March 26th, 2009 from 7pm to 10pm at the artLAB Salon and Gallery located at 1410 Montana Avenue in Santa Monica, CA 90403. (310) 255-9900
Committed to artistic exploration, artLAB Salon will be debuting the first in a series of art collaborations on March 26th, with Downtown L.A.'s premier art venue, Crewest Gallery. This collaboration of "Eastside meets Westside" promotes the most talented, known and unknown, underground fine artists and top hair stylists on the LA scene. The "art of hair" combines with Crewest's innovative art that speaks to the heart and soul to elevate the atmosphere of artLAB from a great hair salon to a cutting edge art gallery.
This exhibit showcases seven of the most active members of the internationally lauded Cause of Insanity (COI) graffiti crew who have helped establish Crewest as a prominent force in art from street to canvas and now to the walls of artLAB:
· Vyal, (vyalone.com) with his dark and surreal character styles is also the original creator of the "Graffiti Saved My Life" apparel brand.
· Marka27,(marka27.com) a prolific artist who is never confined to one medium and most recently known for his highly acclaimed "Mini-gods", a series of vinyl toy designs that also function as working speakers for your ipod or computer.
· Werc, (crolvswerc.com) although well known for his graffiti art and murals, his fine art inspirations come from logos, symbolism, architecture, urbanization, and the humor and nostalgia in specific immigrant cultures.
· Sherm, (shermgrafik.com) the only female graffiti artist allowed to represent the COI Crew with her unique style, she's also known and respected for her graphics and web design capabilities.
· Man One, (manone.com) the founder and director of Crewest Gallery, as well as established artist whose murals and designs have been commissioned by ESPN, Coca-Cola, Adidas, and more as well as being featured on national commercial ads for Microsoft, Ford and on national TV programs for MTV, ABC, and PBS among others.
· Sacred194, is the innovating member and founder of COI Crew. He is a living legend in the Los Angeles graffiti scene known for his innovative use of style and techniques which are now common place, such as the use of house paints to fill in his large mural sized graffiti street pieces.· Huit, (digitalhuit.com) meaning "eight" in his native French, is one of the newest members of the crew and is a master at painting with cans as well as pixels.
Complete Artist Bios available upon request.
For further info contact: Luna George 818-235-4598 email@example.com
Crewest is a gallery that supports some of the most talented underground artists from the West Coast and beyond. The gallery's focus is on urban & graffiti art created through painting, sculpture, digital, and print medias. All of the exhibits housed at Crewest deal with what is current, and significant within the realm of the urban art experience. Visit the gallery online at: www.crewest.com
artLAB Salon is a boisterous, lively environment which includes a DJ booth, rotating art installations, video montages, quirky, one-of-a kind found objects, unique home décor, and apparel in limited retail vignettes. Concrete walls, zebrawood framed floating mirrors, orange faux lizard chairs, and a black crocodile reception desk punctuates the vibrant energy. Not only do they offer the perfect place for hot style at affordable prices, ranging from $35 to $60, but they are a source for all hip things in LA such as restaurants, fashion, music, art, clubs and underground events. For more info on artLAB: www.luxelab.com
COI Crew is a Los Angeles based collective of talented graffiti artists who formed in the late 80's. Although not all of the original members remain active artists, the impact that this crew's members have had on the artistic landscape in LA is unquestionable. For the past 20 years, COI members have pushed the boundaries of graffiti in art, design, fashion, and culture. To find out more about Cause Of Insanity Crew and their work, visit their website: www.coicrew.com
# # #