An exhibit of painting of the streets of the Lower East Side by members of the "Federation of Modern Painters and Sculptors." The Federation of Modern Painters and Sculptors was established in 1940. Original members included Adolph Gottlieb and Louise Nevelson, (alumni of the Educational Alliance.) The first group exhibit was in the "American Art Today" Pavilion at the New York World's Fair in 1940. Artists’ groups have been a vital part of 20th century American Art. This group fought for the independence of different kinds of creativity, and made it possible for artists devoted to styles of all kinds to have public exposure by means of exhibitions throughout the country, and encouraged intellectual exchanges among artists and a special sense of camaraderie and spiritual community." The Federation continues this mission today, sixty years later.