The Palos Verdes Art Center, a non-profit community visual arts gallery and school, “inspires individuals to celebrate, appreciate and create art.” Since 1931, when it was founded as a cultural arm of the planned community of Palos Verdes Estates, the Art Center’s exhibition, education and outreach programs have made the visual arts available, accessible and affordable. The Palos Verdes Art Center provides an economically and ethnically diverse community with:
- ♦ Free art exhibitions, featuring both regionally significant artists and local students. Related educational programming includes docent tours, catalogues, lectures and supplementary workshops.
- ♦ Studio art classes for all ages and skill levels in drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, digital art, art history, photography, printmaking and wearable art. Tuition is modest, and financial assistance is available.
- ♦ Awards and scholarships. In its 12 years, the Beverly G. Alpay Memorial Education Fund has given more than $112,000 to students and artists.
- ♦ Art experiences for differently-abled youth and adults. Special Mornings works with students in special education classes in Los Angeles County. Volunteer docents teach art to adults at Canyon Verde in Redondo Beach.
- ♦ School-based art education for more than 8,000 Palos Verdes Peninsula students each year through Art at Your Fingertips and Partners in Art.
- ♦Standards-based art programs for schools through artist-taught workshops, artists residencies and exhibition tours.
- ♦ Attractive rental space for weddings, parties and meetings and creative children’s birthday parties.
- ♦ Opportunities to volunteer and to network with other artists.