A group of small marine paintings by Frank Cuprien are on display on the mezzanine.
An artist truly enchanted by the sea, Frank Cuprien built a home and studio in Laguna Beach in 1914. Named The Viking Studio, it was near Bluebird Canyon on a bluff overlooking the ocean. The artist called it his “Citadel of Inspiration” and could often be seen outdoors at his easel painting ocean views like those displayed. He would commonly use such works as the basis for larger compositions painted in the studio. Cuprien earned a national reputation for his paintings of the iridescent effects of sunlight and moonlight on calm seas. He was a founding member of the Laguna Beach Art Association, serving as president from 1921 to 1922. He bequeathed his entire estate to the LBAA, and the works of art, including these examples, are now part of the museum’s permanent collection.