photo l.a. features new and established galleries from around the world that present classic, vintage and contemporary photography. Providing a visual discourse on photography's place in contemporary art, photo l.a. is an exciting forum for collectors and exhibitors.
Photography publications, and artist produced books, have become increasingly more important in the field of photography and contemporary art. We are delighted to announce photoBOOK LA as a new platform for boutique publishers and book artists. Since it's inception photo l.a. has contributed to the increased appreciation of photography and collecting in Los Angeles. We are certain that photoBOOK LA will be an excellent addition to this tradition.
With over 10,000 visitors photo l.a. is the best platform for meeting with collectors, curators and artists in Los Angeles. Our outstanding programming series continues to address the most current topics in the converging worlds of art and photography.
• Los Angeles County Museum of Art curator Britt Salvesen (Robert Mapplethorpe: XYZ) and Curator of Photographs at the Getty Research Institute, Francis Terpak (In Focus: Robert Mapplethorpe), will discuss the simultaneous exhibitions of the artist's work.
• Matthew Thompson, curator and author of The Anxiety of Photography, will lead a round table discussion with a mix of younger Los Angeles artists including Andrea Longacre-White, Anthony Pearson and David Benjamin Sherry, who hybridize photography with some other practice to explore its materiality.
• Point Of View: selections from Los Angeles collectors will be on view. A round table discussion some of the collectors will elaborate on their collecting motivations
• Bill Eppridge, noted photojournalist, lectures on his experiences documenting the 1960s, specifically, Robert F. Kennedy's final campaign.
• Meg Partridge, Filmmaker, will speak about her father, Rondal Partridge, and his photographic work. The son of Imogen Cunningham, his mentors and colleagues included Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange and Edward Weston
• Artillery magazine hosts one of its infamous Face Off Debates.
• New Sales Platforms roundtable with Heritage Auctions, 1stdibs and artnet.
• Private docent tours of the fair with experts in the field of photography history, the market and museum exhibitions.
• Josephine Sacabo, will discuss her trajectory from a documentary street photographer to he current work using the etched photogravure as her exclusive form of print making.
• photoBOOK LA, a new platform for boutique publishers & book artists at photo l.a.
photo l.a., the 22nd Los Angeles International Photographic Art Exposition, takes place January 18 - 21, 2013 at the historic Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Opening with a gala reception on Thursday, January 17, 2012. Please visit www.photola.com for fair and programming.