Please read the whole text below before signing up!
1914 - The world fair in Oslo had 80 Senegalese living for 5 months in a Human Zoo called The Congo Village. The exhibition was opened by the king of Norway and 1,5 million visited that human zoo as a part of their celebration of the norwegian constitution.
2014 - In preparation to celebrate the 200 year anniversary Norway is preparing a huge celebration, where the image of Norwegian goodness is celebrated to it's maximum. Values like equality and antiracism and the role of Norway in the world are at the heart of this celebration.
We thought about challenging the 2014 celebration by suggesting to do a reenactment of The Congo Village to question the collective loss of memory, the nation building process, norwegian goodness and to highlight a forgotten event in norwegian history.
May 15, 2014 - We have the resources to build the village but we need your help to complete our reenactment. We need you to volunteer as an extra in our human zoo but first we want you to go to our website, see the videos and read the texts because you need to do this out of your own will.
We welcome anybody from anywhere in the world who believes in the importance of the discussion about colonialism, the evolution of racism, equality... etc. we ask you to submit a text for why you want to participate.
Register in the form on this page.
Please keep these important points in mind.
• Your participation has to be voluntary, you will not get paid, we do not help with any arrangements, visas, accommodations, nothing.
• You will most likely be asked to defend your participation.
• Before you submit, you should be aware that this project is heavily critiqued by a group of people in Norway.
• You should be aware that the event will most likely be covered heavily by
• Whatever text you submit, for or against the project, may be published in a publication we are releasing in 2015.
We thank you very much for contributing to this project.
Lars and Fadlabi