Located in Melbourne, Australia, Screen Space is a not-for-profit gallery committed to art engaged with the moving image and screen-based culture. The space has been purpose built to accommodate the unique needs of screen-based installations.
In 2014, Screen Space will present an ambitious program of exhibitions by local, interstate and international artists in the Main Gallery. Alongside this program, the Small Screen at Screen Space provides an opportunity for the exhibition of single-channel works in a highly visible context.
This call for proposals is for the Small Screen only. The Small Screen is a large wall-mounted LCD monitor in the foyer of Screen Space. Only single channel works will be considered.
Exhibitions will be four-to-six weeks in duration. Screen Space continues to be rent-free and there are no fees. The gallery will provide email and website advertising, standard gallery listings as well as opening night bar. Applications from international and local applicants are welcomed.
Proposals must include:
Cover Sheet - 1 x A4 page
- Contact Details: Artist's/Curator's Name, Address, Telephone and Email
- Preferred Month of Exhibition
- Any Technical requirements (eg sound or input devices if the work is interactive)
- 50 word Summary of the Exhibition
Proposal - 1 x A4 page
- The title and a clear and concise description of the work to be exhibited
- An outline of the key ideas that inform the work
Curriculum Vitae – 1 x A4 page
- A concise and up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- For group exhibitions, please include one page for each artist or curator involved in the exhibition
- Support material must be the completed work or very similar to the proposed work.
- Include a list of the support material indicating the title, year, name of artist, medium and the running time.
- Video support material must be provided via URL. This web link must be directed to a specific page containing video material no longer than 10 minutes that is relevant to the application, and preferably will present the work being submitted for application at Screen Space. If the work is longer than 10 minutes, please provide a 10 minute preview only.
If you are an artist or curator interested in presenting work, which has not been previously exhibited in Melbourne, on the Small Screen in 2014, please send a proposal by the 8th of July to: email@example.com. For all enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.