The SFMOMA Artists Gallery, located in Fort Mason in San Francisco's Marina district, is currently accepting applications for an unpaid intern position as a research assistant for the summer. The internship is five days per week, Tuesday - Saturday, 11am - 5pm.
Background: The SFMOMA Artists Gallery's mission is to support contemporary Bay Area art. It is a professional resource that offers exhibitions, art consultation and placement services, leasing and purchasing of art.
Duration of Internship:
Monday, June 17 through Friday, August 23, 2013
The intern will gain experience in generating written promotional material for an art gallery, knowledge of the Bay Area arts community, art handling skills, and experience working with clientele and the public in a gallery setting.
Organize physical inventory and assist staff with clients
Conduct research for upcoming exhibitions
Prepare artists profiles for website content and press releases
Maintain files, tools and supplies
- Knowledge of MS Office and the ability to use the Internet for research
- Be able to work independently, thoroughly and with attention to detail
- Professional demeanor, punctual and organized
- Art history course work, a focus in studio art, or have an interest in contemporary art
- Occasionally tasks can be physically demanding-moving paintings, lifting heavy objects.
Before applying, please visit the Internships Section of our website at www.sfmoma.org/pages/jobs_internships
- Internship application form printed from SFMOMA Web site; DO NOT APPLY ONLINE
- Cover letter detailing how your background/coursework will contribute to this department and what you wish to gain from this internship
- Letters of Recommendation (one personal/professional and one academic) in a confidential, sealed envelope with the recommenders' signature across the seal
Please send application requirements* detailed above to:
Intern Program Manager
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
151 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
All applications must be postmarked on/before March 8, 2013.
*Materials must be received in one complete package, with "Artists Gallery" marked clearly on the envelope.
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity among its staff.