The then stalwarts and luminaries like Rabindranath Tagore; Mahatma Gandhi Dr. Abanindranath Tagore; Chakrabarty Rajagopalachari, Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, Dr. Stella Cramrisch etc., all expressed their gratitude to Shri Gurusaday Dutt, (I. C. S. during British India), for his untiring endeavour to revitalize the obsolescent folk art of undivided Bengal which he collected from the remote parts of the province. They were of the same opinion that without the enthusiasm and energy of Shri Gurusaday Dutt, a heaven favour harbinger, the Herculean task of revival of our ancient culture could not have been done. It was he, who himself took up a great work and gave an impetus to the neo-Bengal school of art which others might well emulate.
Brief History: During his tenure as District Collector in the remote parts of the then Bengal, Shri Gurusaday Dutt (1882-1941), ICS, developed deep admiration understanding and interest for the rural folks and their rustic arts. To preserve, revive and revitalize the dying folk art traditions he collected between 1929 and 1939 about 2325 exquisite specimens including several heirlooms. As bequeathed by Shri Dutt, the whole collection, after his death in 1941, was handed over to the Bengal Bratachari Society which was also founded by him sometime earlier to preserve the Bengali folk traditions and culture.
In the year 1961, the Museum building was opened by Dr. Bidhan Chandra Ray, the then Chief Minister of West Bengal and on the 8th day of February, 1963, Professor Humayun Kabir, the then Union Minister of Education, Govt. of India declared the galleries open for the people.
In the year 1984, the management of the Museum was transferred to the Gurusaday Dutt Folk Art Society, which has undertaken its development with the financial support from the Ministry of Textile, Government of India under an Agreement held on May, 23, 1984 between the President of India and the Bengal Bratachari Society. As per item no. 4 of the said Agreement, Government of India is to give all financial requirements to upkeep and maintain the Museum. Initially the grant, in question, were released through the Ministry of Textiles, Office of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), National Handicrafts & Handloom Museum from the year 1984-1985 to 1991-1992. Subsequently the grants were released directly from the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Office of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, New Delhi since 1992-1993