ArtSlant - Museums http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/show en-us 40 Ahuja Museum For Arts, 26 Lee Road, Groundfloor, (at Elgin Road Crossing), 700020 Kolkata, India <p>Ahuja Museum for Arts  is a private, one-of-a-kind Museum and will house and display the personal art collection of Mr. S.D. Ahuja consisting of over 1000 artworks. We will be showcasing over 1000 paintings from 2009 to 2011, by displaying a unique set of about 40 paintings from the collection every month. This collection has been acquired over the years and consists of art from around the world, particularly Asia and also from India. The current selection of 35 pieces will remain on display until 31st January 2010. The next set of 40 paintings will be put up from 1 February 2010.  The display will be changed every month. It will be our endeavour to encourage all residents and visitors to Calcutta to visit the Museum.</p> Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:39:24 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Birla Academy of Art & Culture, 109 Southern Avenue, 700 029 Kolkata, India <p>The <b>Birla Academy of Art &amp; Culture</b> at Calcutta was established in 1966 with the principal objective of fostering the growth of art and culture with emphasis on visual and performing arts. In this time, the Academy has established itself as a centre of cultural, artistic and educational activities.</p> Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:01:26 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (formerly Prince of Wales Museum of Western India), 159/61 Mahatma Gandhi Road, Fort, Mumbai 400 023 <p>Founded in the early 1900s, this Museum is one of the premier cultural institutions in the country. On the 14th August 1905, a number of prominent people of Bombay gathered at the Town Hall and resolved to erect a Memorial to the visit of the Prince of Wales (later King George V) in the form of a public Museum which, would be named after him. The meeting was attended by Sir Pherozeshah Mehta, Justice Badrudin Tyabji, Narotamdas Gokuldas, Justice Chandavarkar, Sasson J. David and many other dignitaries known for their outstanding contribution in their respective fields and also in the development of the island of Bombay. The Foundation Stone of the Museum was laid by the Prince of Wales on 11th November 1905 and the Museum was named Prince of Wales Museum of Western India. For a long time people had also felt the need for a good museum in the city and finally the museum was established by the public contribution aided by the then Government of the Bombay Presidency.This memorial in the form of a museum was to be erected on the plot of land known as the Crescent Site on the southern tip of the island. The building was completed in 1914 but it opened to the public much later on 10th January, 1922. Till then it was used by the military as a hospital and for the Children&rsquo;s Welfare Exhibitions. Many things have changed since then. Bombay is now known as Mumbai and the name of the Prince of Wales Museum of Western India is changed to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. Set against a well-laid-out garden which retains its original plan even today, the museum is an important Heritage building of the city.</p> Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:47:52 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum, 91 A, Rani Baug, Veer Mata Jijbai Bhonsle Udyan, Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar Marg, Byculla East, Mumbai, India Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:41:37 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Gurusaday Museum, Gurusaday Folk Art Society, Bratacharygram, Joka, 700104 Kolkata, West Bengal, India <div style="text-align: justify;">The then stalwarts and luminaries like Rabindranath Tagore; Mahatma Gandhi Dr. Abanindranath Tagore; Chakrabarty Rajagopalachari, Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, Dr. Stella Cramrisch etc., all expressed their gratitude to Shri Gurusaday Dutt, (I. C. S. during British India), for his untiring endeavour to revitalize the obsolescent folk art of undivided Bengal which he collected from the remote parts of the province. They were of the same opinion that without the enthusiasm and energy of Shri Gurusaday Dutt, a heaven favour harbinger, the Herculean task of revival of our ancient culture could not have been done. It was he, who himself took up a great work and gave an impetus to the neo-Bengal school of art which others might well emulate.</div> <div style="text-align: justify;"></div> <div style="text-align: justify;"><strong>Brief History:</strong> During his tenure as District Collector in the remote parts of the then Bengal, Shri Gurusaday Dutt (1882-1941), ICS, developed deep admiration understanding and interest for the rural folks and their rustic arts. To preserve, revive and revitalize the dying folk art traditions he collected between 1929 and 1939 about 2325 exquisite specimens including several heirlooms. As bequeathed by Shri Dutt, the whole collection, after his death in 1941, was handed over to the Bengal Bratachari Society which was also founded by him sometime earlier to preserve the Bengali folk traditions and culture.</div> <p style="text-align: justify;">In the year 1961, the Museum building was opened by Dr. Bidhan Chandra Ray, the then Chief Minister of West Bengal and on the 8th day of February, 1963, Professor Humayun Kabir, the then Union Minister of Education, Govt. of India declared the galleries open for the people.</p> <p style="text-align: justify;">In the year 1984, the management of the Museum was transferred to the Gurusaday Dutt Folk Art Society, which has undertaken its development with the financial support from the Ministry of Textile, Government of India under an Agreement held on May, 23, 1984 between the President of India and the Bengal Bratachari Society. As per item no. 4 of the said Agreement, Government of India is to give all financial requirements to upkeep and maintain the Museum. Initially the grant, in question, were released through the Ministry of Textiles, Office of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), National Handicrafts &amp; Handloom Museum from the year 1984-1985 to 1991-1992. Subsequently the grants were released directly from the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Office of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, New Delhi since 1992-1993</p> Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:12:36 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Jehangir Nicholson Art Foundation, EAST WING ,SECOND FLOOR,CSMVS/MUMBAI MUSEUM, MAHATMA GANDHI ROAD , 400023 Mumbai, India <p><strong>Mission Statemen</strong>t:</p> <p style="text-align: justify;">The Jehangir Nicholson Art Foundation (JNAF) has been set up to promote the knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of modern and contemporary Indian art. It is committed to preserving, documenting and updating one of the richest private collections that reflects the complexities, the vitality and crucial phases of development in modern Indian art history. The JNAF also seeks to create a knowledge centre that stimulates educational pursuits, research and intellectual inquiry.</p> Mon, 25 Mar 2013 02:35:41 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Kiran Nadar Museum of Art, 145, DLF South Court Mall, Saket , 110017 New Delhi, Delhi , India <p>Established at the initiative of the avid collector Kiran Nadar, KNMA (The Kiran Nadar Museum of Art) opened its doors to the public in January 2010, as the first private museum of Art exhibiting Modern and Contemporary works from India and the subcontinent. Located in the heart of Delhi, India’s capital city, KNMA as a non-commercial, not-for-profit organization intends to exemplify the dynamic relationship between art and culture through its exhibitions, publications, educational and public programs.</p> Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:07:25 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list Museum of Fine Arts,Punjab University, Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:24:56 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list National Gallery of Modern Art - NGMA Delhi, Jaipur House, India Gate, 110003 New Delhi , India <div style="text-align: justify;"><strong>Aims and objectives<br /><br /></strong>The principal aims and objectives of the National Gallery of Modern Art art <ul> <li>To acquire and preserve works of modern art from 1850s onward</li> <li>To organize, maintain and develop galleries for permanent display</li> <li>To organize special exhibitions not only in its own premises but in other parts of the country and abroad.</li> <li>To develop an education and documentation centre in order to acquire, maintain and preserve documents relating to works of modern art</li> <li>To develop a specialized library of books, periodicals, photographs and other audio visual materials</li> <li>To organize lectures, seminars and conferences, and to encourage higher studies and research in the field of art history, art criticism, art appreciation, museology and the inter-relations on visual and performing arts.</li> </ul> The foremost responsibility of the National Gallery of Modern Art is to ensure quality and to set and maintain standards of excellence. The aesthetic and educational purposes are not only defined in the aims and objectives of the National Gallery of Modern Art, but efforts are also being made so that they become implicit in its organization and pervade all its activities.<br /><br /> Above all, the National Gallery of Modern Art helps people to look at the works of modern art with greater joy, understanding and knowledge by extending their relationship with our daily life and experiencing them as vital expressions of the human spirit. <br /><br /></div> <p><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" type="hidden" /></p> <div id="refHTML">&nbsp;</div> Thu, 23 Jan 2014 23:24:01 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list National Gallery of Modern Art - NGMA Mumbai, Sir Cowasji Jahangir Public Hall M G Road, Fort, 400032 Mumbai, India <p style="text-align: justify;"><strong>NGMA Mumbai:</strong> Only the facade remains of the edifice that was formerly the auditorium known as the Sir Cowasji Jehangir Public Hall. The interior with its elegant horse - shoe shaped balconies now exhibits a different look as the hollow interior exhibits a central stairway with semicircular galleries at different levels. Sir C. J. Hall, as it was popularly known, has become transformed into the <strong>National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai.</strong></p> <p style="text-align: justify;">On opening night, as the cognoscenti gaze at masterpieces of the past half-century at an exhibition on the Progressive Artists&rsquo; Group, which served as a nucleus for the contemporary art movement in the country. Old timers might recall concerts where coiffeured ladies listened to recitals by Yehudi Menuhin, Paul Robeson, and the Bombay Symphony Orchestra conducted by Mehli Mehta (father of Zubin Mehta); freedom rallies ringing to the voices of Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Jawahar Lal Nehru, Mohammed Ali Jinnah; annual exhibitions of the Bombay Art Society or meetings of the Parsi Panchayat, for which a special provision was made by the donor, Sir Cowasji Jehangir. For the next generation, however, the renovated structure represents a stride into contemporary times with glimpses into the best of Indian Art today. C. J. Hall was donated to the city of Mumbai in 1911 by Sir Cowasji Jehangir, whose family has gifted the city, no less than four magnificent public buildings.</p> <p style="text-align: justify;">The complex of the Cowasji Jehangir Hall and the Institute of Science was built by the british architect Wittet at a cost of 19 lakhs, with the balance of 11 lakhs being contributed by Sir Currimbhoy Ibrahim and Sir Jacob Sassoon. The only other public hall being Town Hall, the new hall filled a vacuum in the city&rsquo;s social life. At the inauguration of the complex, Lord Sydenham said: &ldquo;Bombay is fortunate in the possession of so many good citizens who, recognizing that great wealth carries obligations, have come forward to assist in meeting the various growing needs of the city&rdquo;.</p> <p style="text-align: justify;">Till the fifties, C. J. Hall was the city&rsquo;s premier location for concerts, political meetings and art activities but fell into disuse after the construction of Jehangir Art Gallery and air conditioned auditoriums like Tejpal, Birla and Patkar Halls which had better acoustics and lighting. Neglect led to deterioration and in the sixties and seventies it would be hired out for boxing matches, trade union meetings, wedding receptions, and discount sales of leather goods and readymade garments.</p> <p style="text-align: justify;">The artist community, led by the eminent sculptor, Piloo Pochkhanawala and the doyen of art, Kekoo Gandhy protested against the deterioration from culture to bazaar resulted in the decision to convert the hall into a museum for contemporary art. Introducing floor space into the cavernous high-domed interior of a hall designed along the lines of London's fame Royal Albert Hall proved to be an architectural challenge. Not only could the outer shell not be touched according to heritage laws, but the foundation was also found to be weak being on a sandy base. Delhi-based architecture Romy Khosla's design involved constructing a structure within a structure to encase a five-exhibition galleries, one leading to another via a teak and chromium stairway, a lecture auditorium, a library, cafeteria, office and storage space for a permanent collection as well as traveling shows. The renovation has taken 12 years and cost 3.5 crores but at the end of it all Mumbai has an exhibition space which meets international standards for lighting, humidity and temperature control. The new art gallery will cater to a new generation examining paintings and sculptures in awe as they are informed about artists and art.</p> Sat, 15 Nov 2014 05:40:53 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list National Gallery Of Modern Art - NGMA Bengaluru, Manekyavelu Mansion 49, Palace Road, 560 052 Bangalore, Karnataka, India <p style="text-align: justify;">Located in the prestigious heritage premises of Manikyavelu Mansion, the NGMA Bengaluru branch was inaugurated by the Honourable Union Minister of Culture and Tourism, Mrs. Ambika Soni on February 18.<br /><br />Over 90 years old, the Manikyavelu Mansion on Palace Road was once the property of the Mysore royal family. The mansion later came to be owned by Raja Manikayavalu Mudaliar, a mine owner. It was taken over by the State Government in the late sixties, who then offered it to the Ministry of Culture in July 1989 for setting up of a modern art Museum at Bengaluru by NGMA. The foundation stone for the museum was laid in 2001.<br /><br />Spread over an area of 3.5 acres, the historic heritage mansion was transformed from a residency into a museum gallery, with a display space of 1551 sq. m by architect Naresh Narasimhan of Venkataramana Associates. The heritage building has been supplemented by a new Gallery Block, which adds a display space of 1260 sq. m. The new architecture is so designed, that while fulfilling the requirement of spaces needed by a modern museum, it coexists in harmony with the style and ambience of the traditional mansion. Equipped with a refurbished auditorium, an open air theatre, a reference library, offices and art storage, a cafeteria, and a museum shop cum facilitations block, the NGMA looks ahead to becoming a hub of art activities and a major cultural centre at Bengaluru. The architects of the New Wing of NGMA, M/s. TEAM were provided the requisite support in the organization of the interiors and the detailing of the display systems.</p> Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:49:30 +0000 http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list http://www.artslant.com/ind/Venues/list