“ FROM THE WOMAN WHO WAS BORN WITH ASSEMBLAGE OF PENCILS FOR HANDS “
Language is a grid on reality. I am striving to create images that transcend explanation, a moment of seeing where the intangible becomes palpable, visually to take the viewer with me off the grid.
I create ever larger collage on canvas and paper using pencil, ink, oil and a lifetime of drawings cut and torn, layered into text, my own, or the gift of random lines that haunt and continue to inspire. I strive towards a line defying geometry, an insight into space that doesn’t line up with the shorthand of everyday vision. Playing in that space before what we perceive as real solidifies into the concrete I aspire to have my recurring images of horses, boots, musical instruments, most importantly faces and women’s bodies zoom past the representational into the realm of poetic realism.
URBAN TOPIARY: I discovered SKETCH MESSAGE on my cell phone several years ago and have since learned to control and manipulate its imagery, finding an expansive new medium in this most “low-tech” of digital technology with which to draw and play with the miracle of light, shape, distance and change.
Strolling the waterways and plazas alongside and under bridges of my favorite Brooklyn neighborhoods, Gowanus, Dumbo and Red Hook, I have been recording the ever evolving cityscape, observing its cycle of construction and deconstruction while creating a growing body of Sketch Message portraits, which I believe resonated a soulful truth through an unexpected electronic filter.
These images meshed to become the foundation of an imagined open ended web-based novella “URBAN TOPIARY” that is in progress.
An explanation of PLAY THE PANORAMA for which I have been selected as one of eight artists worldwide follows :
Exhibitions – Recent Work
- Impossible Exchange - Frieze Art Fair, London October 2009.
- 2TAKES - 42nd St chashama Black Box Theater collage/performance Oct 2009
- PLAY THE PANORAMA 2009. Ronald Huynen Curator - One of eight artists selected worldwide to participate in drawing relay.
- FAX - a global art fax project The Drawing Center New York, 2009
- Benefit for Nicole, a postcard show, 2009 Priska Juschka Fine Art, New York
- ArtWalk 2008 Brooklyn , NY July 2008
- Incongruities 2.0 – Ashawagh Hall East Hampton, NY July 2008
- Private Viewing – Sunday Afternoon Series. Brooklyn Heights –Nov 2007
- Letters to Joan Emergency Arts - solo - collage – NYC - April 2007
- Recent Works Emergency Arts - group show - NYC- November 2006
- 2006 Square Foot Show - Art Gotham NYC - March 2007
- Incongruities Ashawagh Hall - East Hampton, NY. - March 2006
- Cryptopsychographies Tin Garage - Tarrytown, NYC - December 2005
Traveling the globe Ms. Enz exhibited in Corfu, Paris and Tel-Aviv as well as stateside at Hofstra University, East Hampton, North Shore Arts and NOW in NYC. Due to the toxicity of materials and the proximity of her newborn daughter she worked to become a performance artist, filmmaker, and playwright. After winning a second Edward F. Albee Fellowship for writing which included a residency at The Barn in Montauk, she began with Mr. Albee’s encouragement to incorporate her own text into large collage which she now uses as a backdrop for performance work. They also stand alone as works of art .